Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Wingfield Railway Station - April 2017

urbexdevil

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Heading north from my usual area of abode to pick up myself a new 4 wheeled toy (none from this report of course) and seeing this place was nearby, what better opportunity for a mooch.

Being a bit of a car nut myself, I have been on a bit of a mission to see some abandoned vehicles so this was a perfect quick little explore to satisfy that mission. For now anyway.

Certainly some interesting vehicles on the site, one of which in my opinion is well worthy of a restoration! Unfortunately I didn’t manage to get inside the station building itself and didn’t fancy crossing the live tracks to see the platform side of the building.

Wingfield railway station was a railway station built by the North Midland Railway on its line between Derby and Leeds which is now part of the Midland Main Line.

From Ambergate the line passes Wingfield with a station which closed in 1967 although the buildings, by Francis Thompson, remain, although in a derelict condition. Nearby is the ruined Wingfield Manor, one of the places where Mary, Queen of Scots, was imprisoned.

In times past this area was important for coal mining, at Oakerthorpe, South Wingfield, with a branch to Shirland

DSC00357.jpg

DSC00358.jpg

DSC00359.jpg

DSC00360.jpg

DSC00362.jpg

DSC00363.jpg

DSC00364.jpg

DSC00345.jpg

DSC00348.jpg

DSC00349.jpg

DSC00350.jpg

DSC00351.jpg

DSC00353.jpg

DSC00355.jpg

DSC00356.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
That's pretty cool mate, I like that old dentistry van and the mini car :)  No luck with the building?

urbexdevil

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
That's pretty cool mate, I like that old dentistry van and the mini car :)  No luck with the building?

Nope, no luck... though didn't try the track facing side. Train shot explains why haha...

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
I like the dental truck too, would be interested to see how that's lifted out inside.. (y)

tawnyman

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Hi,

The small white electric car is an Enfield 8000, developed in the early 70's. Nothing to do with the motorcycle Co, it was funded by a Greek millionaire. Apparently a lot were used by the Electricity Council and Electricity Boards in southern England. I suppose they had plenty of 'fuel' for it, particularly with the oil crisis of the early 70's. For a vintage Top Gear report on a much-loved example try this.  Enjoy,    Julian

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It's all about that white van! Wonder what it used to say on the side.....