free hit counter
Great Britain - Abc cinema Liverpool March 2016 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain Abc cinema Liverpool March 2016

Lavino

OS Member
Reaction score
Abc cinema

visited with @blacksnake @fragglehunter @Tbolt and @Wherever I may Roam enjoyed this cinema was very dark here and hard to light. So here's a few photo and some history...

The ABC Cinema is Grade II listed. It rounds the corner of Lime Street and Elliot Street and is one of the first buildings visitors see when leaving Leaving Lime Street Station. ABC acquired the building in 1930 and it opened a year later to become known as one of the finest cinemas of that era.

The six storey exterior was designed by A. E. Shannon and has very little decoration other than motifs over the entrance. Despite this, the building remains a very distinct feature on Lime Street. The building is listed for the grand interior, which is said to remain one of the designers - William R. Glen's - best.

The cinema was renamed ABC Cinema in February 1971 and survived intact until 1982 when it was converted to three screens; the additional two mini cinemas were installed under the balcony. It was re-named Cannon in 1986 and remained so until closure in 1998. A building that many in the city remember using, The Forum finally closed its doors on the 28th of January 1998. It remains unused.

DSC_0007_zpsf9dokvts.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsy8inygpi.jpg

DSC_0003_zpsllhcruta.jpg

DSC_0001_zpstr3dcw1v.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsrb0w8b2r.jpg

DSC_0005_zpsxce1y9ao.jpg

DSC_0006_zpswssflqde.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lenston

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Heard it was open, i guess many people did with the tour bus that turned up this morning, some nice shots to be had in there (y)  

:comp

Lavino

OS Member
Reaction score
No wasn't us but it was going off. Just carried on it wasn't very loud.

Wherever I may Roam

OS Member
Reaction score
Yeah was a bit of heavy traffic in there this morning to say the least & no - wasn't me either who set alarm off!! :-D  

DirtyJigsaw

OS Full member
Reaction score
Like this, seen loads of pics on FB recently of the place too lol. Nice shots there

The Elusive

OS Member
Reaction score
Whoever put the downstairs lights on would have set the alarm off; Pir was wired to the electric box!. There were already so many lights on in there that the workmen had left on still cant quite fathom why you would mess with it, I mean you already had enough light in there to photograph, Spoilt compared to other cinemas which are pitch black barely any chance to focus! :p

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
It is a nice cinema this. I could tell it was part of the ABC chain as the decoration is identical to a closed cinema near me. 

Lavino

OS Member
Reaction score
It wasn't us that were messing with the lights. They all went out in complete darkness then when they came back on the alarms went off.

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
It wasn't us that were messing with the lights. They all went out in complete darkness then when they came back on the alarms went off.

One infamous case when I was messing about with a fuseboard in a derelict cinema (funny enough) I was inadvertently switching the lit up sign out the front on and off.  :-D  

coolboyslim

Old school (m8ty)
OS Full member
Reaction score
Good stuff lavino m8ty. One that got away from me this one. shame really  anyways nice pics and post m8ty.

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Getting a bit of traffic this place lately! Nice report Lav (y)