free hit counter
Great Britain - Acoustic Mirror, Kent - May 2013 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain Acoustic Mirror, Kent - May 2013

Reaction score
I've always had a fascination with this large semi-spherical structure, mainly because I was always up here as a kid. It's really sad that's it's now crumbling away, as back then you could climb in it... I was always trying to see how far I could climb up it. So one recent sunny afternoon I went up to take some pics. The sun was setting by the time I'd trekked up the hill, still full of troughs and ridges from a landslip in the 1980s. So the pics are a little dark, but I though maybe it gave a nice effect anyway.

I know this isn't strictly proper ninja splorage, although the area is MoD land with the usual signposts to keep to paths I've never known it be enforced. But it's a nice bit of history. Move it mods if you wish :)

8744916627_bd927a34ae_o.jpg

Acoustic mirrors were the forerunner of radar, and many were built along the South coast between 1916 and the early 1930s. This 30ft mirror was one of two experimental mirrors built on The Roughs at Hythe, Kent, around 1929. To the front/east of the mirror is the control room of the Acoustic Research Station that controlled the mirrors from Denge to Dover.

8744917621_44afc7c8e8_o.jpg

The other 20ft mirror sadly collapsed in the 80s landslip. The ruins of this, along with the foundations of the listening room next to it can be seen to the east. Most other mirrors were made of cast concrete, but this one was a unique concrete-covered metal mesh dish set on a concrete base with angle iron supports.

8748975864_ee35e69133_o.jpg

The mirrors worked by reflecting the sound of approaching enemy aircraft into a microphone in the lower centre of the dish, which was received by operators in the Listening Chamber under the dish. Although an innovative idea at the time, it had it's flaws. The range was less than 25 miles, so only giving a few minutes warning. Also other sounds like sheep and passing cars were picked up.

With aircraft developing and becoming faster, the mirrors were not providing enough warning, and with the advent of radar the Air Ministry decided to focus their efforts on that and and the mirrors became obsolete.

8744915833_f765ab0996_o.jpg

8747811325_6eab834107_o.jpg

8744917985_3539be5002_o.jpg

8749036484_a41f0b301e_o.jpg

Decay to the mirror is too advanced for repair, so EH and the MoD have undertaken a full survey and 3D scan in order to create a replica in the future. The MoD did have plans to demolish the mirror, but have stated it will remain in situ for the foreseeable future, due to the difficulties of getting machinery over an area designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest. So now it's left for nature to take it's course, and it will only be a matter of time before it's gone.

8744919633_05f8d217ac_o.jpg

Starlight

Last edited by a moderator:

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
Very nice!! And a lovely write up as well!

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Great shots there loving the first

Thanks for the share

(y)

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the interesting history lesson !, nice pics too !

Harry

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Oooooo Star, me likes!!!

Rik

OS Member
Reaction score
Very interesting, wonder if it actually worked.........thanks for sharing Starlight :)

Shush

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I loved this and actually watched a tele program the other week about them and how they work, fantastic bit of kit. Good splore Starlight :D

Reaction score
Thanks guys, lovely comments :D

Shush thanks, I missed that what side was it on?

Yes Rik they worked but weren't very effective in early detection..

S

Scattergun

Its lovely :) theyre such unique devices and way ahead of their time. Its a shame more work wasn't done to preserve structures like this, they really are few and far between. Really cool reading too as I don't really know much about listening mirrors. Tis an awesome 'mini ninja' report hun :) pics are gorgeous!

Reaction score
Its lovely :) theyre such unique devices and way ahead of their time. Its a shame more work wasn't done to preserve structures like this, they really are few and far between. Really cool reading too as I don't really know much about listening mirrors. Tis an awesome 'mini ninja' report hun :) pics are gorgeous!
They're definitely something a bit different. Glad you liked it thank you :D

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Excellent write up, I just learn't something there (y)

Banshee =}

OS Member
Reaction score
What a good interesting read and cool pics nice one :)

Judderman62

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
that's a very cool and interesting place and cracking photos - nice one and thanks for posting it up