Contact Staff

Contact the team

Belgium Blue Christ Church - Jan, 2021

ForgottenBuildings

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
History:
During the end of the 1800s this part of Belgium was known for the massive heavy industry. With this new industry the demand for houses also grew, which created a ton of new housing blocks for the employees. Including the many new housing blocks there were also newly constructed churches. In 1880 this church opened and was constructed in a rather grand Neo-Gothic architecture, which was quite prominent in churches at that time. In the 1970s the industry started to decrease which caused a gradual flight of people in the neighborhoods. In 1990 this trend caused that this church couldn't operate anymore due to high maintenance costs.

Nowadays the church is home to many mice and pigeon families. There are no plans to restore this grand church.

Photos:
_MG_0818 kopie.jpg

_MG_0811 kopie.jpg

_MG_0813 kopie.jpg

_MG_0805 kopie.jpg

_MG_0810 kopie.jpg

_MG_0841 kopie.jpg

I also made a video where I went more in-depth into the history of this site:

Thanks for reading and watching!

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I'm amazed this place still hasn't been hit with graffiti yet. It's quite spectacular really.

mde

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
nice to see this place again. I visited a few years back and its not changed.
(perhaps need a revisit is needed)!

YvasKawai

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Wow, this church is so beautiful. It is so sad that it wasn't maintained enough to remain attractive and clean. People shouldn't touch and reconstruct it because the building is fantastic and can't be copied. Instead, authorities should draw their attention to it and make a historical sight o this place or smth. However, it is sad that the church is abandoned. I think all churches were built for a purpose; people wanted them to be practical and feel nearer to God. I like modern churches like portland Oregon churches too, as there are regular services and the ability to speak to other Christians. But I would also love to attend such buildings as a church.

Last edited:

jones-y-gog

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, this church is so beautiful. It is so sad that it wasn't maintained enough to remain attractive and clean. People shouldn't touch and reconstruct it because the building is fantastic and can't be copied. Instead, authorities should draw their attention to it and make a historical sight o this place or smth. However, it is sad that the church is abandoned. I think all churches were built for a purpose; people wanted them to be practical and feel nearer to God. I like modern churches like portland Oregon churches too, as there are regular services and the ability to speak to other Christians. But I would also love to attend such buildings as a church.
I believe that renovation has started here by now. It will be interesting to see what develops. I was hoping to visit this place in the next few weeks after years of wanting to but it seems it will be another of those that wasn't meant to be.