Contact Staff

Contact the team

Canon Brewery 2010

BlocksPhotography

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Some history,

Stones brewery (William Stones Ltd) was a regional brewery founded in 1868 by William Stones in Sheffield, West Riding of Yorkshire, England and purchased by Bass Breweryin 1968. After its closure in 1999 its major brand, Stones Bitter, has continued to be produced by the Molson Coors Brewing Company.

William Stones had started brewing in 1847 in Sheffield with Joseph Watts. Following Watts' death in 1854 Stones continued brewing by himself. In 1868 he purchased the lease of the Neepsend Brewery, and renamed it the Cannon Brewery, and he continued to brew there until his death in 1894. Stones' success saw him die as one of the richest men in Sheffield, although he lived a modest life. The company was taken over by Bass in 1968, then in 2000 Bass sold its brewing operations to the Belgian brewer Interbrew who were ordered by the Competition Commission to sell the Stones brand. In 2002, the brand was purchased by the AmericanCoors Brewing Company, who merged to become Molson Coors in 2005.

Stones Bitter was brewed at the Cannon Brewery from 1948 and was popular with Sheffield's steel workers. Stones Bitterwas originally available across the south of Yorkshire,Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire, with distribution extended to the rest of the north of England in 1977, and nationwide from 1979, accompanied by a considerable marketing push. Increasing demand saw it also brewed at other Bass breweries from the 1970s onwards. The beer's popularity reached its apex in 1992 when it was the country's highest selling bitter, selling over a million barrels.[3] The beer has been lauded in certain quarters as "one of Sheffield's most famous exports". After the Cannon's closure production was continued elsewhere. KegStones Bitter (3.7 per cent alcohol by volume) is brewed by Molson Coors at their brewery in Tadcaster,North Yorkshire and the canned product is brewed at their Burton upon Trent brewery

As you will see from my pics this place was rather untouched when i visited back in 2010, No graffiti to be seen, unlike today. The best bit for me has to be the staicase, It seemed to go on and on. I went back here not so long ago and couldnt belive the difference.

5217603816_fbc51a9cb4_b.jpg

5217536460_a4c6b9cd6e_b.jpg

5216946635_e6833409f0_b.jpg

5217532730_ef387d4b17_b.jpg

5216942069_c47afe9ae8_b.jpg

5217527830_00ba37ef7a_b.jpg

Thanks for looking ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
OK this is bugging me - where are you copying the text from so that it's copying the formatting, because I've switched that feature off on our forum. I'm intrigued so I can mimic the setting. 

It sure looked a lot better in those days, wasn't much there still, but a lot tidier than it does now. 

BlocksPhotography

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
OK this is bugging me - where are you copying the text from so that it's copying the formatting, because I've switched that feature off on our forum. I'm intrigued so I can mimic the setting. 

It sure looked a lot better in those days, wasn't much there still, but a lot tidier than it does now. 

From Wikipedia mate, And yeah not to much to see other than the staircase 

ACID-REFLUX

OS Member
Reaction score
Not going to be there much longer as the demo teams busy at work ......again  :-o

Nice to see it non trashed .....any other pics ?

BlocksPhotography

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Not going to be there much longer as the demo teams busy at work ......again  :-o

Nice to see it non trashed .....any other pics ?

Ah well will be a shame to see it go. There are some nice bits of graffiti in there tbh, and that's all the pics I got unfortunately. I thought I had more but apparently not lol

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Liking that peely on the ceiling and the down the stairwell shot. Another nice location and shame that it's demise is imminent :(

:comp

Last edited by a moderator:

coolboyslim

Old school (m8ty)
OS Full member
Reaction score
Another nice report shame you didn't have more pics. It's interesting to read your reports and see difference from then and now. Thx m8ty for sharing. You take lovely pics for someone who didn't take that many pics back then.

BlocksPhotography

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Another nice report shame you didn't have more pics. It's interesting to read your reports and see difference from then and now. Thx m8ty for sharing. You take lovely pics for someone who didn't take that many pics back then.

Thanks alot mate. I used to take plenty of pics when I visited asylums and hospitals back in the day. They are my 1st love so to speak lol