free hit counter
Great Britain - Capelcleugh & Dowgang lead Mines : The amazing preservation & exploring the unknown. | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain Capelcleugh & Dowgang lead Mines : The amazing preservation & exploring the unknown.

UK Abandoned Mine Explores

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
The Caplecleugh Vein and its branches were initially accessed through shafts leading to the Firestone Sill. The Caplecleugh Horse Level adit, which originally served Peatstack, Brigal Burn, and Dowgang mines, was established during the same period.

In the early 19th century, between 1819 and 1825, the London Lead Company leased the Caplecleugh veins and constructed the current level along the Brigal Burn Vein. The company extended the level southward along the Black Ashgill Cross Vein, eventually reaching the Caplecleugh Vein. This level provides access to the extensive Caplecleugh Mine complex, stretching from Whitesike to Smallcleugh.

Later on, in the late 1800s, the Nenthead and Tynedale Lead and Zinc Company worked the Caplecleugh mine. Finally, it was taken over and reworked by the Vieille Montagne Zinc Company for zinc mining.

In the video, our exploration takes us to an area we have not visited before, and we are excited to see what we will find. We will take you through the winding tunnels, pointing out interesting features along the way. So, if you love history, adventure, and exploring unique and unusual places, then join us as we explore Capelcleugh and Dowgang, and discover the secrets of these fascinating old lead mines. Don't forget to like, share, and subscribe to our channel for more exciting adventures!

20230221_150814.jpg

20230221_151545.jpg

20230221_151640.jpg

20230221_152047.jpg

20230221_154720.jpg

20230221_150549.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dubbed Navigator

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, this is more along the lines of what we are looking for. Do you have higher res copies of your images?

I have sorted the formatting, but bigger photos would be much better, and a few more if possible :)

UK Abandoned Mine Explores

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, this is more along the lines of what we are looking for. Do you have higher res copies of your images?

I have sorted the formatting, but bigger photos would be much better, and a few more if possible :)
Thanks, I'll sort that out for the next post :)