free hit counter
Counthill School / Waterhead Accadmy, Oldham - April 2013 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Counthill School / Waterhead Accadmy, Oldham - April 2013

Marsden1002

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Hello !

Another one of my "older explores" but one of the more enjoyable ones. Combine a derelict school with a chance to have some rather good views, and you have the now demolished school based in Oldham.

Counthill School formerly a high-achieving Grammar School, was a mixed gender secondary school for 11 – 16 year olds in the Moorside area of Oldham in Greater Manchester, England. The School closed at the end of July 2010 as part of the New Oldham Academies Project, merging with Breezehill School to form Waterhead Academy. Initially the school site was used as the Moorside campus of the new academy, however after Waterhead relocated its main campus to a third site in November 2012, the old Counthill site is now the sports campus of the academy.Counthill school had approximately 900 pupils on roll, and opened in September 1951. Although sometimes mistakenly thought to be the highest secondary school above sea level in the country, it sits between 280 and 285 metres, which is lower than others such as Buxton Community School at 320 metres. Its motto was Animo Atque Fide.
I've had my eye on this one since January, never been able to gain access and then forgot about it for around a month. I then reminded myself and headed up to the school! Started of with a good wander around the site. Around 40% of the site has already been demolished, and the internals have been stripped of anything valuable and trashed. It was still worth a wonder just to gather the size of the place and get a "feel" for it.

DSC_1902_zpse0f2d4df.jpg

DSC_1907_zps3dfa9d52.jpg

DSC_1909_zpsc4179e78.jpg

DSC_1910_zps0d33dd8f.jpg

dcs_zps10ce9c74.jpg

DSC_1940_zpsf23ace79.jpg

DSC_1970_zpsce38e50e.jpg

DSC_1981_zpsf2d502aa.jpg

We then went onto a roof above the clock which give stunning views. The friend who i took with me could see his house, and proceeded to ring home and began waving. It was confirmed his family could see us on the roof .. . . . :whyu:

DSC_1977_zpsa6bdfda8.jpg

DSC_1955_zpsad571e91.jpg

DSC_1987_zps6506fb05.jpg

At this point i clocked a police car approaching up the road. We ducked down and kept having a little look. Next minute there was 4 police vans (transit connect size) and 3 police officers running around the back. We decided to climb down and approach one of the offices at the front gate. We had a quick chat, explained what we was doing and he told us we were trespassing. Two offices went inside and the officer who was with us said "Go on then, show us how you got up". We had a good chat about how we wanted some pictures before it goes . . . .

pol_zps79cd536a.jpg

The officers also agreed it was a very good view! They led us back to the front gate and basically said they can't stop us from entering, and if more officers come out we just need to tell them the same thing (y)

DSC_2040_zps67023e92.jpg

DSC_2023_zpse1def292.jpg

DSC_2009_zps8f397d8d.jpg

DSC_2029_zps2c616d53.jpg

The views combined with a cold beer, understandable police and good company made the few hours we spent inside fly by :D

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
Brilliant write up, the fact your mate was waving to his family and they could see made me chuckle! Glad the police was nice to you :)

thanks for sharing, looks a good mooch does that :)

:comp

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice one mate..police is never good but it keep you on your toes

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice report mate, always a bonus when you come up against the more knowledgeable plod who know the score

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Thats another in for the win as pics are cool and the write up made me chuckle.

Cheer for the share and again welcome (y)

Silent Night

OS Member
Reaction score
some very nice shots indeedy cool view from ooop there,did chuckle when I read about your pal waving etc :) never good when the view is old bill but at least they were pleasant (y)

Reaction score
Sounds like a total win of a day, rooftop views look awesome and nice to explore somewhere that is full of memories before it's gone. Lovely shots great report (y)

Marsden1002

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Thanks all,

I really enjoyed this. You can see all of Manchester, Warrington, Rochdale and many other places :D

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Win win and lovely write up ! :D

Stussy

OS Member
Reaction score
Thats a very cool school, plenty to see, great views, superb work! (y)

Urban_Explorer

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Seems like you had a good explore , some good external pictures. :D