Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Denbigh Asylum - November 2014

UrbexBaby

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I know this one has been done to death so I'll keep it short.

HISTORY

The asylum was built between 1844-1848 and housed mentally ill patients from the surrounding North Wales area. It continued to grow in size with various renovations and extensions and by 1956 was able to house in excess of 1500 patients inside the grounds. The main hospital closed in October 1995 after it was no longer required by the NHS and has been left empty ever since.

A wide range of treatments were used at the hospital including the use of Sulphur based drugs, Insulin shock treatment, Electro-convulsive treatment and Pre-frontal leucotomy.

THE EXPLORE

We set off on our road trip with the sun high in the sky however, by the time we arrived in Wales the weather was well and truly bleak with the skies gloomy and the rain giving no sign of letting up. We parked up in the town and made our way into the grounds of the hospital which was easy enough, we started at the chapel making our way to the morgue and then on the rest of the site.

Internally its pretty trashed with numerous floors missing or dangerously soft, the main building has no floors whatsoever and its bare apart from its stone walls. We spent nearly 4 hours on site and still only managed 2/3 of the grounds before it started to go dark and unfortunately our super stealth mode must have eluded Elywin as we didn't get the privilege of bumping into him accompanied by the Hound of the Baskervilles.

By the time we left we were soaked to the bone but definitely worth the trip, there is so much to see and you could easily spend a full day here and although we didn't see a single soul all afternoon I couldn't shake off the weird unsettling vibe the place seems to give off as we wandered round.

post9_zps179c130b.jpg

post3_zps804a3dc8.jpg

post5_zps1f172f12.jpg

post2_zps587e0644.jpg

post3_zps24e13ebb.jpg

post8_zpsa4ee7108.jpg

post4_zps68227d01.jpg

post1_zpscebf849d.jpg

post1_zps55d2960c.jpg

post7_zps01ec510f.jpg

post6_zps21f040ec.jpg

d2_zpsc9bee485.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited by a moderator:

mookster

OS Member
Reaction score
Nice to see the old girl again, looking very battered now!

UrbexBaby

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
She's well and truly f****d :(

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
lovely to see again, shames she's slipping away :(

:comp

UrbexBaby

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I was having a read of the signs on the gates when we were there, the closing date for objections to the compulsory purchase order was the end of September so she may be gone sooner rather than later :(

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It's battered but I have to agree there's something about the vibe that place gives off, I found it a creepy experience when I visited, made worse by Elwyn trying to run me over :D

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Sad to see it in that state. Great set of photos though!!

UrbexBaby

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
It's battered but I have to agree there's something about the vibe that place gives off, I found it a creepy experience when I visited, made worse by Elwyn trying to run me over :D
We didn't get the pleasure unfortunately so I think a revisit is in order to get the full Denbigh experience! :cool2:

slayaaaa

OS Member
Reaction score
Ah I love the look of this place. Dying to get along there. Cheers for sharing. (y)