free hit counter
Glamis Private Hospital, Dunedin - January 2016 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Glamis Private Hospital, Dunedin - January 2016

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
History

Glamis Private Hospital opened in 1988, to cater for the rising elderly population in Dunedin. It closed during the autumn of 2011, after $18 million was invested in the Yvette Williams Retirement Village (named after the former Olympic gold medallist) located in nearby Highgate. Investment in a new premises was said to be due to the increasing demand for bed space. All of the former staff and residents at Glamis were moved across to the new site, which was described as a ‘boutique retirement village with improved facilities’. All residents would, for instance, have access to an en-suite bathroom at the facility. While Ryman, the current owners of Glamis, intended to sell the site once it was vacant, it still remains empty in 2016. 

Our Version of Events

Back in the barely habited scrubland of the South Island of New Zealand – better known as Dunedin – I decided to follow up a tip off that an abandoned hospital had popped up. Deciding to walk was a bad idea, since it turned out to be miles out of my way, but I still arrived with some daylight to spare. After standing around looking suspicious for a while, waiting for a suitable gap in the pedestrian traffic, I managed to get inside fairly easily. It’s a funny thing that, normally Dunedin is like a ghost town, but when I decide to explore hundreds of people suddenly appear! 

Inside there seemed to be plenty of leftover stuff, so I set about grabbing as many snaps as possible before it got too dark. To my disappointment, there were no beds in any of the former bedrooms, although there were other medical-related objects – namely chairs, walking sticks and pills – spread around the building. Overall, the place felt as though it had been abandoned only a few months ago, not four years or so. There were still plenty of food supplies leftover for instance; baked beans and what not – so that was my dinner sorted anyway. I had to pass on the bread unfortunately… 

1: Glamis Private Hospital
 ​

aDSC_0100_zpsohoorwi7.jpg

​

2: Front Entrance
 ​

aDSC_0106_zpsncejd0nz.jpg

​

3: Main Reception Desk
 ​

aDSC_0003_zpsqr0g5vyn.jpg

​

4: Main Entrance
 ​

aDSC_0004_zpsv74glw3i.jpg

​

5: Behind the Main Desk
 ​

aDSC_0012_zpsf4nk89vq.jpg

​

6: The Main Hall
 ​

aDSC_1000_zpsyj8y8ktp.jpg

​

7: Kitchen (Room One)
 ​

aDSC_0021_zpsqwsnnxoj.jpg

​

8: Kitchen (Room Two)
 ​

aDSC_0020_zpsawqjtzdr.jpg

​

9: Stereotypical Elderly Person Tea-set
 ​

aDSC_0025_zpspsaovlgf.jpg

​

10: Shared Ward Area
 ​

aDSC_0027_zpsqbjpjxun.jpg

​

11: Private Room
 ​

aDSC_0032_zpsybvubrj4.jpg

​

12: Toilet Seat
 ​

aDSC_0076_zpsy1rojws8.jpg

​

13: Main Corridor
 ​

aDSC_0928_zps4ufkrgkr.jpg

​

14: One of the Communal Rooms
 ​

aDSC_0938_zpsesjnsarx.jpg

​

15: More Rooms
 ​

aDSC_0950_zpsxiytpll0.jpg

​

16: Former Office
 ​

aDSC_0955_zpsojrorcos.jpg

​

17: Staircase Shot
 ​

aDSC_0953_zpsxm6qkqux.jpg

​

18: Leftover Personal Belongings
 ​

aDSC_0968_zpss0ymzskr.jpg

​

19: Staff Room
 ​

aDSC_0970_zpspwgtmoxj.jpg

​

20: Staff Kitchen
 ​

aDSC_0974_zpsoixd7jqb.jpg

​

21: Physiotherapy Department
 ​

aDSC_0997_zpszrjvkwrj.jpg

​

22: Another Staff Office
 ​

aDSC_0925_zps5elgq1lx.jpg

​

23: Hair Dressing Room
 ​

aDSC_0016_zpsq6ij4u6f.jpg

​

24: Bathroom
 ​

aDSC_0008_zpshe4fajwg.jpg

​

25: More Belongings
 ​

aDSC_0966_zpslvhpctgb.jpg

​

26: Second Communal Area
 ​

aDSC_0985_zps0bfe28rj.jpg

​

27: Wheelie Toilet Chair
 ​

aDSC_0989_zpsvufrqqzv.jpg

​

28: Communal Area
 ​

aDSC_0034_zpstumxtpzu.jpg

​

29: Walking Sticks
 ​

aDSC_0039_zpsnwncajjp.jpg

​

30: The Piano Shot
 ​

aDSC_0042_zps80lrhhoc.jpg

Lenston

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Still a few bits left there, nice one. 

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
That's well nice mate, the staircase is reminiscent of Sliverlands. Cool report (y)  

:comp  

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Thanks fellas. This is one of the finer buildings in Dunedin I'd say, haha. They don't all look like this...  :wink:  Loved the staircase like. 

-Raz-

OS Member
Reaction score
Nice place and nicely shot mate :D I got a little exited when I saw Dunedin thought it sounded like a Scottish name, you can imagine my disappointment when i saw it was in New Zealand :(

Last edited by a moderator:

coolboyslim

Old school (m8ty)
OS Full member
Reaction score
Really really good that m8ty. Looks like it's still open lol fantastic pics and report m8ty thx for this 

Merryprankster

OS Member
Reaction score
nice bit of wood in thur, nice leftovers aswell, done a couple of nursing homes myself and they have a definite vibe to them i find, coold share dude

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
What a lovely little place, love that main hall & staircase. You've done great with this, lots of things left over and somewhere I haven't seen before (y)  

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
That's spot on mate, as always :)

I can almost smell the TCP and Rich Tea biscuits looking at this, and i fuckin love the look of that toilet chair/shopping trolley/cross trainer combo thing. I want one

WildBoyz

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice place and nicely shot mate :D I got a little exited when I saw Dunedin thought it sounded like a Scottish name, you can imagine my disappointment when i saw it was in New Zealand :(
Lmao. You are right though. Dunedin means 'Edinburgh of the South'. It was intended to be a replica on the other side of the world... Until they realised how expensive that would be and how few people they had to do it... 

DirtyJigsaw

OS Full member
Reaction score
Lots to see there. I was gunna say the same as The_Raw, very Silverlands shot 6