free hit counter
Great Britain - Graylingwell - (Visited 2011 ) -2013 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain Graylingwell - (Visited 2011 ) -2013

Sectionate

OS Full member
Reaction score
Well, flavour of the month etc, but it had to be done and it was a good way to keep up the exploring. Graylingwell has always been that place that has been 'there' but not really seen, only a few very dedicated bastards have made it in over the last few years. Climbing was the only way. But now, even with conversion slowly moving through the site, it still stumps people. PIRs have sprung up, and a few cameras - i can vouch for the PIRs being live, as we stumbled into one a few months back, only to watch security take a look round a short while after.

Graylingwell was the hospital that sat on the edge of consciousness as it was always sealed and rarely seen. Only a few very dedicated people have made it in over the years and even then they only got to see a snapshot (normally the hall). Climbing onto the roof was the only way as each and every thing in the place was screwed shut, and the every trusty tunnels were limited by the amount of exit points. Even with conversion that slowly moved through the site it still stumped people, including me. PIRs and a few cameras sprung up around the perimeter - I can vouch for the PIRs being live as I stumbled into one on a fail trip, only to watch security take a look round a short while after.

The site itself is in an odd condition for somewhere that has sat half disused for nearly a decade. One side was converted to offices and was seemingly being looked after by the contractors prior to demolition. The other side was shut and left to sit, and is in fairly good condition as a result of the attentive security guards. The kitchens were in the worst state as the roof was damaged and the hall had seen better days (I still cannot understand why it was demolished. I would comment on the laundry, but some bugger ripped through it and left a pile of rubble when we finally arrived.

It took three trips to finally make it inside so excuse the amount of photos. It was a good day out, with some fun times being spent down in the tunnels trying to figure our way around!

History here: http://www.thetimechamber.co.uk/beta/sites/asylums/west-sussex-county-asylum-graylingwell-hospital

graylingwell016.jpg

Photos:

Wards

graylingwell030.jpg

graylingwell049.jpg

Cool window bench seat, bet this has been removed now

graylingwell031.jpg

graylingwell033.jpg

Stores (I think)

graylingwell057.jpg

A sign I wish I owned

graylingwell060.jpg

More corridor

]
graylingwell062.jpg

Kitchens / Services

graylingwell069.jpg

graylingwell068.jpg

graylingwell070.jpg

The Hall - one of the best ones I have seen.

graylingwell089.jpg

graylingwell074.jpg

graylingwell073.jpg

graylingwell071.jpg

graylingwell079.jpg

S8 :)

graylingwell016.jpg

Last edited:

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Hit the ground running ,welcome along mate..Graylingwell was a lovely explore so your pics of the old girl are more than welcome..nice to see the projection room again (y)

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Thats a cools set of pics and liking that allot (y)

Welcome to the Forum Buddy :beer:

Thanks for the share :cool2:

Sectionate

OS Full member
Reaction score
Cheers, it was a great place - I'll bung a few more up when I get in tonight.

SuZyQue

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Thats fantastic and one on my list I never got to see, loving the nature creeping along the floor and the sun streaming in, brilliant :)

Gigi

Oblivion State Member
OS Full member
Reaction score
You got this on a great day with the light. What a place! I do wish I had seen it more often, but pleased I did get to go! Lovely report

Shush

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice lighting nice splore, nice set :D

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Excellent report, loving the photo borders too

(y)

klempner69

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Great report mate..we too got nobbled by the pirs and we escaped the fence only to come face to face with secca on the other side..they couldnt do much really!

D

Dubbednavigator

Amazing site, although i contest the claim that its an ex mental hospital. Its far too tidy...