free hit counter
Great Britain - Imperial Distillery, Carron (Visited July 2010) - May 2013 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain Imperial Distillery, Carron (Visited July 2010) - May 2013

...mole...

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
One of my favourite explores despite it's small size (we could only get in to one of the buildings). Visited with Revelation_Space back in July 2010. This place was demolished earlier this year :( and I believe they are building a new distillery on the site.

"Just as the existing distilleries along the Spey helped justify the building of a railway, the building of a railway in turn helped justify the development of more distilleries. in 1897 land on the north bank of the river next to the existing Carron Station was used to build the ambitious Imperial Distillery, which also came complete with its own railway sidings.

Imperial was expanded in 1965, but closed twenty years later in 1985. It then reopened in 1989, before being mothballed in 1998. Last time we visited, in mid-2005, the distillery had signs suggesting it was for sale as a development site. Imperial's problems were always its very large stills, meaning that it could not be operated very flexibly. It could either produce in large quantities or not at all: and sadly, it looks as though in future it will not be producing at all."

Still had that lovely distillery smell in the building!

Once again I forgot to take an external shot of the building.

Couldnt resist checking out the Stills first.

VU4IjKt.jpg

Fat Bottomed

E1oXdo3.jpg

fMkHGRz.jpg

pdIoUDq.jpg

Under the stills had some nice lighting and some lovely Valve Handles

G7Iqrzz.jpg

nlRwH4N.jpg

eDHBzV4.jpg

Moving on to the other part of the building, came across this thing not sure what it was but i liked it.

UIlxvgi.jpg

And some controls for the Mash Tun

sVopQnk.jpg

and inside the Mash Tun itself, I had a fear of this turning on whilst being in it!

tg72VBG.jpg

There wasn't much else to see so here's a picture of some playing cards and dead bats in a sink in the Kitchen.

wouUZR6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Those stills are awesome mole just quality

Cool share

(y)

Pic size on the vertical is moosive bit of reduction needed next post please good sir

Last edited by a moderator:

klempner69

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Copper lovelyness..cheers for sharing this

mookster

OS Member
Reaction score
All that copper! One hopes they were reused but I seem to remember seeing them all cut up a while ago?

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Love those stills, surprised that the metal thieves haven't hauled them away ;)

...mole...

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
All that copper! One hopes they were reused but I seem to remember seeing them all cut up a while ago?
Ive heard conflicting reports about this never did quite find out if they were cut up or not, It wouldn't surprise me though that's a lot of money in copper there.

SuZyQue

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Very nice just imagining that smell, great stuff:)

D4RK-INS1GHT

OS Member
Reaction score
very cool, but for some reason this kind of reminds me of charlie and the chocolate factory with a bit of saw thrown in there for abit of fun lol. nice one bud

Shush

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Love those huge butternut squash things, Cracking set of pics Mole, thanks for sharing

Stussy

OS Member
Reaction score
I heard they caught metal thieves as they were cutting up the stills. Sadly never got the chance to visit here, cracking pics and tanks for the share.