Contact the team

Middleton Mine, Derbyshire - July 2013

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
How not to do a mine trip...

History

Middleton mine spans a site approximately 168ha of land and is made up of 26 miles of tunnels across 3 levels. From the 18th Century until the end of World War 2, Middleton Quarry produced high quality limestone capable of taking surface polish, for use in monuments and other ornamental products. After declining demand for such products the quarry began to switch its production to powders, grits and filters for use in the steel, glass, asphalt and sugar refining industries. Stone was extracted by underground blasting and passed through a primary crusher before being transported to the surface by dump trucks for further processing.

Our Visit

This was my first underground explore and I really enjoyed it despite the early evacuation at around 2am (we’ll get to that later). I was invited along on a mine camping trip and told, bring beer food and fireworks! True to form I blew about £50 on 5 or 6 large fireworks and packed enough beer to get a horse drunk along with some food and all my camping gear (i would come to regret the amount of gear I brought later). After making our way inside we walked single file with only our torches to guide us for about 2 miles or so, I then became a little tired carrying probably in excess of 40kg of stuff packed awkwardly into multiple bags. I took 5 for a rest and a couple of the lads hung back. after i got back on my feet, we soon realised we were lost, the rest of the group (the ones who knew where they were going) must not have noticed we had lagged behind. We carried on, dropping glow sticks to mark our paths turning down various tunnels at junction points with various routes to choose from blindly trying to find our way to the proposed campsite without a map or a clue as to where we were heading. Finally after about an hour or so and almost giving up and pitching out tents after firmly believing we were probably lost and going to die down there, we saw a light. We had basically gone in a long circle and made our way to the camp site which was probably 5 minutes from where we had first become displaced from the group! Fun times! We set up camp and wonder off to take photos before regrouping for a few fireworks in one of the taller parts of the mine which spanned 2 levels. Watch the video below to hear how loud the main firework was (end of the video), in hindsight probably not the best idea I’ve ever had but damn was it fun! After some of the other guys took part in some abseiling, i got my head down and in the tent for a for zzz’s only to be awoken by Travis shaking my tent frantically from the outside! “Get up we’ve got to evacuate†he shouted. I opened the door of the tent and it instantly filled with thick smoke. We all quickly grabbed out tents throwing everything inside and retreated down to a deeper level of the mine to catch out breath and pack our bags before making a swift exit. We made a couple of trips back to the campsite to get a few remaining bits but it was so thick with smoke you could see more than a meter infront of you even with the P7! From what I gather someone had put a camp bed or an airbed of some description on the camp fire which had resulted in a thick most likely toxic smoke being emitted before the fire was quickly extinguished causing even more smoke! After we rapidly walked to the exit we pitched up the tents outside while some slept just inside the entrance point. On with the photos... Oh and dont forget to check out the video link to the firework display: http://youtu.be/xCfR03H6wdU

MiddletonMines-1.jpg

MiddletonMines-2.jpg

MiddletonMines-3.jpg

MiddletonMines-4.jpg

MiddletonMines-5.jpg

MiddletonMines-6.jpg

MiddletonMines-7.jpg

MiddletonMines-8.jpg

MiddletonMines-9.jpg

MiddletonMines-10.jpg

MiddletonMines-11.jpg

MiddletonMines-12.jpg

MiddletonMines-13.jpg

Thanks for looking and stay safe :D more photos here: http://www.proj3ctm4yh3m.com/urbex/2013/08/12/urbex-hopton-wood-stone-quarry-aka-middleton-mine-derbyshire-july-2013/

p.s. underground is a little out of my comfort zone in terms of photography so go easy on my poor shots you subfloor dwellers :D

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Firewroks in mines surely thats dangerous :eek:

Looks good mate and the place is a biotch to light no matter how many lumens you have trust me!!

:comp

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Firewroks in mines surely thats dangerous :eek:
In hindsight... yes... yes I think it may have been :p they were so bloody loud too the big one cost £30 alone! so much fun!

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
In hindsight... yes... yes I think it may have been :p they were so bloody loud too the big one cost �30 alone! so much fun!
mate its the done thing im afraid..my first trip to MM a few months previous had smoke pouring out exits ;)

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
mate its the done thing im afraid..my first trip to MM a few months previous had smoke pouring out exits ;)
Excellent... I must admit it seemed pretty stable down there as mines go... just wasn't sure about the burning plastic idea down there... kinda smoked us out :/

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
Blimey, you had an adventure down there! And you got some nice shots, thanks for sharing :)

Reaction score
Ha the best explores are the eventful ones! Pics are fine, looks like you had a cracking time (y)

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
You just cant beat a nice Mine Meet with some fire works for some good fun

None to sure about burning camp beds lol and at the time when gas masks were needed none were in sight :p

The cool Ben and nicely done .. (y)

Mon Ster

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
haha awesome sounds like great fun mate good pictures aswell !

Mrbeardo

OS Member
Reaction score
what no HDR ?? joking PM. It's a good un this, I only managed a tiny bit of the mine when me n r lass went

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
bloody nutters :p , great stuff :D

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
You just cant beat a nice Mine Meet with some fire works for some good fun None to sure about burning camp beds lol and at the time when gas masks were needed none were in sight :p

The cool Ben and nicely done .. (y)
Hahaha this made me chuckle! So true though! worst way to be woken up... someone telling you you need to evacuate ASAP!! lol

haha awesome sounds like great fun mate good pictures aswell !
Was a good laugh mate! would deffo like to see more of this place!

what no HDR ?? joking PM. It's a good un this, I only managed a tiny bit of the mine when me n r lass went
Haha i take a break every now and again! didnt like not being able to bracket underground pal... almost cried! this place is huge! dont think we covered very much... think its a multiple trip jobby this one!

Stussy

OS Member
Reaction score
Who is that fat fuck in pic 11 :eek:

Cracking set of pics, mine all turned out shit from that weekend, defo a revisit required!

(y)