Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain Pitchford hall June 2015

Lavino

OS Member
Reaction score
Visited this amazing grade one listed mansion with woopashoopaa and Tom let me just say what a great huge building this is with so many great features. Spend hours here just wondering around this place. The grounds and views are out of this world. With its own chapel in its vast grounds. And that is totally untouched. Complete with electricity the stained glass well these pics don't do the place justice. On with my history and pictures of the place....

Pitchford Hall was built in 1560-70 by William Ottley, the Sheriff of Shropshire. However, the Hall probably has a 14th or 15th century core within the current structure.

Originally, the hall was set in around 14 hectares of park and woodland. Attached to the hall is an orangery, which is also registered 'at risk' (Grade II listing).

The treehouse (perched in a large lime tree) at Pitchford Hall was built in the 17th century in the same style as the hall itself.

It may be the oldest oldest treehouse in the world, and even boasts an oak floor and gothic windows!

The estate also contains some good examples of Roman and Victorian baths.

Shrewsbury & Atcham Borough Council recently suggested designating Pitchford as a conservation Area, but the idea wasn't popular with locals.

Unlike other similar properties, the hall has always remained in private hands - in fact it remained in the same family for many generations.

However, in 1992, the then owners - financially hit by their responsibilities as Lloyds names - were forced to sell off the hall and for the first time in its history, the estate was split up.

Pitchford Hall and estate are now separately owned.

Pitchford Hall

Pitchford Hall

The condition of the hall is classified by English Heritage as 'fair'.

Extensive work was done on the hall in the 19th century. Despite now lying vacant, ongoing work has improved the condition of the roof in particular. Additional work is required to some timber in the East wing and around window frames.

Pitchford has also attracted a fair number of celebrities. In 1832, a few years before her coronation, the young Queen Victoria visited the hall with her mother. In her diary, the princess describes the hall as a large "cottage"!

Meanwhile, in 1935, the hall also received the Duke of York and his wife - later to become George VI and Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother).

It is claimed that Prince Rupert sought refuge in the hall's priest hole after the siege of Shrewsbury, while some of his troops hid in the subterranean tunnel on the estate.

Pitchford Hall is also reputed to be home to a number of ghosts, including an unknown cavalier and the late owner, Robin Grant.

Pitchford%20Hall%20Lavino%20229_zps0owjusbt.jpg

Pitchford%20Hall%20Lavino%20228_zpsfnpr6r9m.jpg

Pitchford%20Hall%20Lavino%20225_zps5m9mkwvx.jpg

Pitchford%20Hall%20Lavino%20224_zpsedl1cp8q.jpg

Pitchford%20Hall%20Lavino%20219_zpsgxds011e.jpg

The beatyful chapel..

Pitchford%20Hall%20Lavino%20217_zpspncvecyf.jpg

Pitchford%20Hall%20Lavino%20212_zpsvs7y8jji.jpg

Pitchford%20Hall%20Lavino%20209_zpsniy3pll0.jpg

Pitchford%20Hall%20Lavino%20208_zpsuoojtfea.jpg

Pitchford%20Hall%20Lavino%20206_zpsbq7k8vd1.jpg

Pitchford%20Hall%20Lavino%20205_zpsertiia7r.jpg

Pitchford%20Hall%20Lavino%20203_zps447zvdtq.jpg

Pitchford%20Hall%20Lavino%20201_zpsj93qlq3m.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Nice shots there (y)

Lenston

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Cool set there :D

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
A very nice location ;)

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
I'm starting to really love this place, some nice bits I haven't seen before too.

Lenston

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Its an amazing building, just wonder how long it will last now, be a shame if it gets locked down for good.

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
Not long if it goes public mate I'm guessing. I need to get there quick really

Lenston

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Not long if it goes public mate I'm guessing. I need to get there quick really
I would, just got a feeling this place doesnt have too much longer left

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
It very much sounds like the place has a few secrets to surrender up yet so lets hope not for a while?

“In one room, she moved a piece of wood panelling and a secret door opened.

Beyond it, a staircase led down to the Priest's Hole installed during Henry VIII's reign. In the 1640s, Prince Rupert, nephew of Charles I, hid there from the Roundheads. Twelve of his troopers took cover in the tunnels”.

“There was one entrance to the subterranean tunnel on the edge of the bottom lake and the exit was in the Rowe Brook.

I once lead a group of archaelogists from the British Archaelogical Society who told me that the tunnel was in fact an ancient conduit and that the large room was the old 'settling room'.

They said that first 100 yards dated circa 17th Century, and that the second 100 yards was 16th Century.

We would crawl along to the settling room, which was about 12 feet high and there were rough stone seats.

There was a small stone window and various shells stuck on the walls”.

Lenston

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
It very much sounds like the place has a few secrets to surrender up yet so lets hope not for a while?“In one room, she moved a piece of wood panelling and a secret door opened.

Beyond it, a staircase led down to the Priest's Hole installed during Henry VIII's reign. In the 1640s, Prince Rupert, nephew of Charles I, hid there from the Roundheads. Twelve of his troopers took cover in the tunnelsâ€.

“There was one entrance to the subterranean tunnel on the edge of the bottom lake and the exit was in the Rowe Brook.

I once lead a group of archaelogists from the British Archaelogical Society who told me that the tunnel was in fact an ancient conduit and that the large room was the old 'settling room'.

They said that first 100 yards dated circa 17th Century, and that the second 100 yards was 16th Century.

We would crawl along to the settling room, which was about 12 feet high and there were rough stone seats.

There was a small stone window and various shells stuck on the wallsâ€.
Yeah ive read about them, the second tunnel im sure is half submerged in the brook as i did look for it, the panel room i didnt know about until we came back, its worth looking for whoever goes there next.