free hit counter
Great Britain - South Hook Fort - Pembrokeshire - Report - 01/03/09 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain South Hook Fort - Pembrokeshire - Report - 01/03/09

evo_mad

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
South Hook fort was built between 1859 and 1865 as a result of the proposals of the 1858 Comittee, consisting of a 2 storey horseshoe shaped barracks with four foot thick walls behind a 20 gun battery facing out to sea.

It was used in 1886 during the "Milford haven experiment" as part of a study into defending a commercial port. In 1890, the western 15 gun battery was demolished to make way for batteries for two 10" BL and three 10" RML guns, however, only one 10" BL gun was ever mounted. This was again replaced between 1900 and 1904 by batteries for three 6" BLs and a 9.2" BL. The western end of the covered way was adapted to take three 6 pounder QFs, again these were never mounted, but adapted once more to take two 12 pounder QFs instead. These were withdrawn in July 1935 and sent to the east blockhouse to form a training battery.

The fort was sold in 1936, however, it was requisitioned at the beginning of the second world war and was called HMS Skirmisher operated by WRENs controlling all Naval movements in the haven. In the late 1950s, ESSO bought the site and built an oil refinery which has since been demolished.

The site was then re-purchased and fitted with an LNG receiving terminal, allowing the import and regasification of LNG from Qatar. The current owners have built a new fence encompassing the Fort (but not the gun emplacements) consisting of a 7ft chain link fence topped with barbed wire. At the main receiving terminal (jetty), there are also electric fences (think jurassic park) that look very nasty indeed.

Present on this adventure was Myself, Hood_Mad, Dangerous Dave and his two "groupies" :cool2: (I'm gonna get my arse kicked for that) :lol:

Outline of the barracks and the gun emplacements.

NewPicture2.jpg

Sattelite photo with the new fence added.

fort2.jpg

One of the many hidden entrances.

Photo910.jpg

Double skinned rooms are the norm.

Photo911.jpg

Weirdly shaped doorway.

Photo913.jpg

That was also high off the ground.

Photo914.jpg

Lots of the doors were securely locked down.

Photo915.jpg

Much overgrown-ness.

Photo916.jpg

Photo917.jpg

Photo918.jpg

View down to one 10" emplacement.

Photo919.jpg

Photo920.jpg

Photo921.jpg

Photo922.jpg

Hood_mad.

Photo924.jpg

Exit fail. :lol:

Photo927.jpg

10" mounting spindle.

Photo928.jpg

Another emplacement.

Photo929.jpg

A crack like that takes some force.

Photo930.jpg

Photo931.jpg

More emplacements.

Photo932.jpg

Photo933.jpg

Mounting bolts.

Photo934.jpg

Flooded ammo storage.

Photo940.jpg

Quality table.

Photo941.jpg

Photo942.jpg

Shell lift.

Photo944.jpg

Up to the surface.

Photo945.jpg

Cartridge lift.

Photo947.jpg

Original light fittings.

Photo948.jpg

Washing unit.

Photo949.jpg

Front drops down to reveal the sink.

Photo950.jpg

The electric fence (do not touch).

Photo952.jpg

We managed to sidle inside without being spotted and made our way up to the fort itself.

The fort proper.

Photo939.jpg

Front door, complete with drawbridge chains.

Photo938.jpg

But unfortunately, it was locked up tighter than the proverbial ducks behind. All the windows were anti-climbed and the doors were welded / padlocked shut, so no access was forthcoming. From looking through the various gaps into the fantastic courtyard, we could tell that this place needs to be done. So we'll keep on checking and hopefully one day get in.

Cheers for looking. :beer:

J.

superwide

OS Member
Reaction score
Nice, looks like a challenge needs to be overcome, there must be a way in somewhere.

PowerSurge

OS Member
Reaction score
Nice pics and report Evo. It must have been gutting that you couldnt get in the fort

Ryda

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Great report there & great pics to accompany it.

From the look of those fences they dont want people in there anytime soon do they haha

I look forward to part 2 of this

evo_mad

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
No matter how many times I am asked about visiting this place my answer is, and allways will be f**k that!
Once you're in mate (and access is a piece of piss) it's fine, we're always on the blind side and didn't see one mobile patrol. :police2:

Even if we have to sedate you, we'll get you in. [Mr T] "You aint getting me in no fort fool" [/Mr T]

evo_mad

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Mate, no amount of drugs could calm me down enough to get me in there
I must be slightly warped then as 11,000v fences and armed guards (no really) make me want to go back even more. :lol:

D

dangerous dave

slow to test the fence first youtube classic in the making

evo_mad

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I think we should retry this one sometime soon! There must be a way in
Yeah, surely the chavs would have broken in by now??!!??

Worth a try.