Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

St Josephs Seminary, Upholland - April 2015

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Briefly, the abandoned St Joseph’s College, Upholland is a former Roman Catholic seminary, situated at Walthew Park, Upholland, Lancashire, England. The foundation of the large building were laid in April 1880 and college was opened in 1883. The buildings have recently been deconsecrated following the announced closure of the College which saw the last students leave in 1992.

The seminary was founded in 1880 by Bishop Bernard O’Reilly to be the Seminary serving the North West of England. The college was formally opened in 1883 and was situated in Walthew Park, Upholland, the geographic centre of the Diocese of Liverpool.

In 1986 the total number of students was down to 82, of whom only 54 were Church students, and it was no longer viable to educate them on the premises. From 1987 the remaining students attended St. John Rigby College in nearby Orrell for their schooling, an arrangement that continued until the very last of these students left Upholland in 1992.

Visited with Donna, Baron Scotland, Jeremy Gibbs,  Jorieke and Eva. Despite my numerous previous visits to this place due to a combination of alarms and not having a clue where they were the infamous row of sinks had eluded me.  On this visit however, we were pretty blessed to find a fault on the alarm system which appeared to have disabled the sirens, we were in luck! Shortly after a few rooftop shots I went back inside on the hunt for them damn sinks and after about 20 minutes finally tracked them down. Also, this time, I had a better look around the ground floor and visited the chapel which we had seen briefly once before but had been interrupted  there after tripping alarm sensors.

StJoesS-1.jpg

StJoesS-2.jpg

StJoesS-3.jpg

StJoesS-4.jpg

StJoesS-5.jpg

StJoesS-6.jpg

StJoesS-7.jpg

StJoesS-8.jpg

StJoesS-9.jpg

StJoesS-10.jpg

StJoesS-11.jpg

StJoesS-12.jpg

StJoesS-13.jpg

StJoesS-14.jpg

StJoesS-15.jpg

StJoesS-16.jpg

StJoesS-17.jpg

StJoesS-18.jpg

StJoesS-19.jpg

StJoesS-20.jpg

StJoesS-21.jpg

StJoesS-22.jpg

StJoesS-23.jpg

StJoesS-24.jpg

StJoesS-25.jpg

StJoesS-26.jpg

StJoesS-27.jpg

StJoesS-28.jpg

StJoesS-29.jpg

StJoesS-30.jpg

Higher res copies of the above photos and more on my website: St Josephs Seminary

-Raz-

OS Member
Reaction score
Really nice set mate it looks to be getting better in there as it decays more :D

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice to see the sinks intact, apparently some knobbers have smashed them up :(

Merryprankster

OS Member
Reaction score
lovely set dude, love that decay all up the wall in immmage 16,  (y)

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
lovely set dude, love that decay all up the wall in immmage 16,  (y)

Haha funny you should say that mate, I really like that one too! so much so its an almost identical shot from one I took on my first trip just with better camera and lens :D  cool patterns :p

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
As much as this place is visited, I never tire of seeing a nicely put together report of it (y)  I like the rooms & as Raz said, she looks better with age :)  

:comp  

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
As much as this place is visited, I never tire of seeing a nicely put together report of it (y)  I like the rooms & as Raz said, she looks better with age :)  

:comp  

Yes mate, been back more times that i expected I would and never fail to come away happy with my shots, she definitely aged well... still wish I could have seen her back in the day when there was more contents kicking about

Great property, lots of very good shots.

Yes @Andy she's a beauty is this one! At one time pretty hard to crack but then became quite the hot spot but with good reason, lots of nice architecture and decay :)

Gothicangel

OS Full member
Reaction score
This place has recently been fenced off.

Went to go explore it the other day and i was so gutted when i seen there was no way in.

Just wondering if there has finnaly been any plans for this place ,or has it been fenced to be forgotten and let rot all the more.