Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

The Maginot Line bunkers May 2015

Dmax

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
So I took a weekend trip with Justin , Ben , Matt , and Kris to the Maginot Line. and must say a very big thank you to Ben and justin for all the driving. The tunnels where cold and dark, damp and dirty and it was great :) ,when I came out on top the sun was out and I spotted a cow seemingly reenacting the Blitzkrieg from the bushes , I also managed to sit on top of an ants nest therefor getting covered in a load of the big red fuckers that had quite a nippy little bite lol. I got to say I had a great time and I would be happy to do it again.

Here's some history

The Maginot Line was named after the French Minister of War André Maginot, must say I never met the dude but I can only imagine like the rest of the population he took great pleasure in eating small harmless innocent amphibians. The Maginot is a line of concrete fortifications that the frog botherers built at the borders of Switzerland , Germany and Luxembourg during the 1930s. The Line did not extend all the way north because they run out of frogs and garlic, any person with the brain capacty greater than a thimble would know this fact would make the fortifications utterly useless but for what ever reason at the time this did not seem to register with the frog eaters but they soon worked out their mistake when in 1940 the Third Reich did indeed conquer the the vast allotment that is France by stomping right on through the gap. not only did this surprise the gastropod consumers it also made them realise they needed help from the UK and lets be honest here we helped them out big time but not that you would know that today as we found out when we bumped into a small group of french in one of the tunnels, they turned their noses up at us right away, it could have been because they realised none of us where from the Pulmonata group of gastropods and therefore totally inedible but I had the feeling it was more to do with the fact that they still remember the war and they are still pissed that they all owe us big time !

So whats the moral of this story I hear you ask ?

Don't ask the French to build anything other than wooden wine racks and strings of onions and never ever go to France dressed as a snail or frog.

So lets get on with the picture show

outside_01_zpsrrhmap89.jpg

tophat_zpslkhua7q9.jpg

Cow_zpsoh8sb1qj.jpg

The beast trying to flank me from the cover of the bushes

backup_zpsyinzhvez.jpg

it did not take long for backup to arrive

Tunnel_B6_Web_zps1ho1gjks.jpg

Tunnel_01_web_zpsk6wssond.jpg

Battle%20Stations_zpsjbiwxlqn.jpg

Steel%20Door_zpsquf63hkf.jpg

Old%20Lift_zps6kh1gum5.jpg

Orange%20Door_zpswaxvoehq.jpg

defend_zpsmwfltbm9.jpg

hope you like the report as much as I liked the trip :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lenston

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Some great pics there mate, hope to see this at some point (y)

:comp

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
LOL! Is that cow wearing camo?? This looks fucking epic, I visited one recently and would love to see some more, this looks pretty special (y)

Dmax

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
it dam well looked like it was at the time but as you can see the others forgot to put there camo gear on :)

we visited 3 , the first one was only small , we stayed over night in the second one and it was about a mile long but quite smashed up and last one was a bit smaller but in much better condition.

Lenston

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
LOL! Is that cow wearing camo?? This looks fucking epic, I visited one recently and would love to see some more, this looks pretty special (y)
Need to get a bunker trip sorted ;)

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Thats simply class Danny and pics are awesome (y)

I didnt realize you were heading over with trog :p

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Cows are evil mate trust me ,me and matt have been eyed up by some one fine sunny explore..

lovely pics and im going to get there one day..think im jinxed mate (y)

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
I can stiil remember the first time I saw a Cow as a kid Wevs,was on a school trip and though it was a monster and was going to eat me.

The teacher told me thats where milk comes from and I told her thats bollox it comes from the milk man, I work on his float on Saturday morning.

A weeks detention for me lol :p true story

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Great place, and pics are spot on especially like that reflection one :)

Dmax

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to comment guys :)

Fekneejit

OS Member
Reaction score
I think that place is #1 on my mainland Europe list...

And credit where it's due, when France surrendered they still held the Maginot Line, they knew how to build them, unfortunately siting them was worked out by politicians, hardly a French-only problem :) . I read a story somewhere that one of the only parts that was over-run by Germans (later on after D-Day, around the time of the Ardennes offensive) was only lost because the American general locked himself out after chasing a German tank battalion, if you're going to hold up any incompetence as an example that's a good'un.

**edit - Oh, yeah, nice pics too :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dmax

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
fair point Fekneejit but my posts are usually a bit tongue in cheek and should not too be taken to seriously :)

Fekneejit

OS Member
Reaction score
I just like the inept American general locking himself out story :D2: