free hit counter
Great Britain - Westcliff Concert Hall/AKA Motor Museum Ramsgate Jan 2012 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain Westcliff Concert Hall/AKA Motor Museum Ramsgate Jan 2012

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Now I know you’re probably thinking. Another rambling Wevsky intro.Well im not going to disappoint chaps.

This building as it’s in my home town and as a child was just up the road. Shame on you mum and dad for never taking me here as a child. Since I became interested in UE it’s been something I have wanted to visit even though I knew it was stripped bare from its closure in 2006 as I’d seen some pics a friend took early last year when he found his way in, despite that I still wanted a look inside this building I must have wandered past several thousand times since I was old enough to venture out on my own. So it’s been on the list but I’ve never actually put the effort into getting in here up until now and im so glad I did..it has the still semi intact bath’s/toilets which has its original staircase leading up to the now capped off entrance along the promanade,not every ones cup of tea old loo’s etc but the tiling is all original!

Enough from me, here’s some brief History and some snaps from back in the day..

Visited with Obscurity and Mrs Obs

The West Cliff Hall was opened in 1914 as a theatre, concert hall and promenade venue, staging outdoor plays in the garden amphitheatre with indoor weather cover .

The West Cliff Hall and Gardens was one of three indoor/outdoor performance spaces constructed into the cliffs of South East England prior to World War 1 including the Winter Gardens in Margate and Leas Cliff Hall in Folkestone. However, the West Cliff Hall and Gardens is the only site to retain its garden and so keeps its indoor/outdoor performance capabilities making it a unique piece of South East England’s heritage.

The building has been empty since closure of the Ramsgate Motor Museum in 2006,in its previous life as a concert hall amongst others the Rolling stones played here back in 1973 I believe! It has a 600 Square metre terrace which over looks the Port and is the only cliff top hall left in the country. That being said its left rotting at the moment even though there are plans by some actress to open it all back up again as a entertainment venue!

Some old pics

WestCliffConcertHallRamsgate.jpg

ramsgate_remembered_318.jpg

A modern view

DSC_0066_1.jpg

Now inside

DSC_0004_5.jpg

DSC_0007_3.jpg

DSC_0008_4.jpg

DSC_0011_4.jpg

One of the booths under a balcony

DSC_0012_4.jpg

Main reception area

DSC_0015_3.jpg

DSC_0016_3.jpg

DSC_0017_2.jpg

Very empty and a bugger to light

DSC_0019_2.jpg

Now some shots some people may overlook of the old baths and toilets

Staircase leading up to the old promenade entrance

DSC_0001_3.jpg

DSC_0021_1.jpg

DSC_0022_4.jpg

DSC_0023_4.jpg

DSC_0024_1.jpg

DSC_0025_2.jpg

Old signage, well part of it

DSC_0026_4.jpg

And finally one from the terrace

DSC_0029_4.jpg

Thanks for looking :unfair: :unfair: :unfair:

Last edited by a moderator:

SuZyQue

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Fantastic pics and nice to see this place again, when we went there had been a fire, I think they have cleaned it up and they was going to reuse this place for something, but I can't remember what. Well done :)

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Fantastic pics and nice to see this place again, when we went there had been a fire, I think they have cleaned it up and they was going to reuse this place for something, but I can't remember what. Well done :)
Theres been some work going on last year yes,was rumours of an under 18's night club now some actress is trying to raise funds to turn it into a cinema and theatre orr something along those lines!

Ramsgatonion

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Bit of a random thought here - but how the hell did they get all those cars down there anyway? The front door seems wide enough, but the paths down to the sunken garden are too narrow// :dunno:

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Bit of a random thought here - but how the hell did they get all those cars down there anyway? The front door seems wide enough, but the paths down to the sunken garden are too narrow// :dunno:
Small crane to drop them down i assume..but not sure

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Just realised id posted this twice ,back in jan and when os opened up again ooopsie..dumbfook or what

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Just realised id posted this twice ,back in jan and when os opened up again ooopsie..dumbfook or what
Always ni

Nice to see this, one of my favourites !

:beer2:

ravenwing

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Great shots mate, looks like an interesting place does this one :)

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Great shots mate, looks like an interesting place does this one :)
pretty empty and featureless untill you go into the baths,but been there all my life and growing up as a kid never went inside

Stussy

OS Member
Reaction score
Really like this place, looks as if it hasn't been touched in since the 80's, surprising it only closed in 2006! Nice work :)

Pen15

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Very nicely done there Wevs (y)