free hit counter
Cambridge Military Hospital - Aldershot - (Visited Dec 2012) 2013 (pic heavy) | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Cambridge Military Hospital - Aldershot - (Visited Dec 2012) 2013 (pic heavy)

Nobby

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Cambridge Military Hospital

Visited with Chaos

History

The Cambridge Military Hospital, built by Messrs Martin Wells and Co. of Aldershot, was located at Stanhope Lines. It was named after Prince George, Duke of Cambridge and opened on 18 July 1879. In the First World War, the Cambridge Hospital was the first base hospital to receive casualties directly from the Western Front. The Cambridge Hospital was also the first place where plastic surgery was performed in the British Empire. Captain Gillies (later Sir Harold Gillies), met Hippolyte Morestin, while on leave in Paris in 1915. Morestin was reconstructing faces in the Val-de-Grace Hospital in Paris. Gillies fell in love with the work, and at the end of 1915 was sent back from France to start a Plastic Unit in the Cambridge Hospital.

After the Second World War, with the decline in importance of Britain's military commitments, civilians were admitted to the hospital. It pioneered the supply of portable operating theatres and supplies for frontline duties. The hospital also contained the Army Chest Unit. It was closed on 2 February 1996 due to the high cost of running the old building as well as the discovery of asbestos in the walls.

The Explore

We were getting restless moping about trying to work out what we were going to do with ourselves, one evening we decided on a last minute next day explore to this monolith of military medical history. We set off at 9am... a relatively late start considering some of the stupid times I decide to get up and go exploring, we made are way over and in....first stop...

the Morgue

DSC_0875.jpg

DSC_0887.jpg

DSC_0891.jpg

DSC_0874.jpg

After our 'chilling' poke about in the morgue we headed off to the main building, hearing that there was a vigilant secca presence we made best effort to get in as quickly as possible....no such luck, we spent a while frustratingly wandering around with eyes in the back of our heads to the front of the building trying to find a way in until suddenly a head pops out of a broken window "ssssssh down there...window" We moved to where we thought he was pointing....nothing. Close to the 'obvious' hut we had to make a decision and quick, after poking around a bit more we needed to adapt, improvise and overcome, with a slip and slide danger entry and a bit of an ankle breaking drop we were in, we made our way to the clock tower and then pushed on through the building.

DSC_0900.jpg

On our way up to the clock tower we realised the epicness of this building, the corridors easily span 300 meters from point to point, and in the dark felt like they wen't on forever. We bumped into a couple other explorers one of which scared the living daylights out of us on a dark stairwell....cheers for that Webbly, we had a quick chat and pushed on.

DSC_0930.jpg

The building

DSC_0950.jpg

DSC_0934.jpg

DSC_0941.jpg

DSC_0910.jpg

DSC_0922.jpg

CMHHDR_zpsefc55833.jpg

The mould slowly consuming the building was like nothing I've ever seen

DSC_0957.jpg

We really underestimated the size of the place and wanted to get one more area in before we left this fantastic building home for some well deserved dinner.

The childrens ward

DSC_0982.jpg

DSC_1283.jpg

DSC_1254.jpg

The Bleeding Doors

DSC_0986.jpg

Thanks for looking

Last edited by a moderator:

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
What a stonking report, loved it and the pics! Thanks for sharing :)

:comp

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Nobby strikes again with another great all rounder.

Love the balance of write up and images another in for the Win.

Bring on the mofo band

:band: :band: :band:

Cool share bud & bang on it (y)

Reaction score
That is an awesome report, I love cmh it was my first hospital explore, 5 visits and 3 successes I'm not done with it yet! Cracking set of shots, nice one (y)

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Star you've been 5 times ?!, jeezus women :p .. anyway lovely explore !! and top report !

Silent Night

OS Member
Reaction score
Banging report there mate,quality write up and images loving them doors :cool:

jones-y-gog

Staff member
Reaction score
That is pretty damn special, nice coloured lighting especially the last one - perfection for me.

Seffy

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Nice work. CMH was one that got away for me... I guess we just didn't put the effort in! Ended up just wandering around the site, en route to a meet up!

Stussy

OS Member
Reaction score
NIce report, good to see a old report from here, still a few parts I would liek too see myself.

(y)

The Elusive

OS Member
Reaction score
Aweosme report! sunnig shots in there too.. tempting very tempting :)

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
brilliant report! some stunning shots! 5,12 and 17 are my faves!

Pen15

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Love the report and the images Nobby.

One of my all time top places and makes me want to go again ;)