Contact Staff

Contact the team

Chernobyl - The Plant - 2012

Timster1973

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

Obviously, I couldn't get closer than these photos, as you will be aware the reactors are derelict and work is ongoing to continue to house them in the new sarcophagus that is a constant exercise in ensuring that the fallout from this disaster is sealed so I thought I'd post a few photos of the reactors we are allowed to take photos of and some history of the firefighters.

History

The Chernobyl disaster is widely considered to have been the worst nuclear power plant accident in history, and is one of only two classified as a level 7 event on the International Nuclear Event Scale (the other being the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster in 2011). The battle to contain the contamination and avert a greater catastrophe ultimately involved over 500,000 workers and cost an estimated 18 billion rubles.

#1 - Reactor 4

8077205348_c7bda01d0c.jpg

#2 - Reactor 4 on the way to the plant

8070251426_dfba464a48.jpg

#3 - Reactors 5 & 6

8145542012_50edb49e68.jpg

The Firefighters

An article on the 25 years + since the "liquidators" faced the fires of Chernobyl news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2011/04/110426/ch...

The Chernobyl disaster is widely considered to have been the worst nuclear power plant accident in history, and is one of only two classified as a level 7 event on the International Nuclear Event Scale (the other being the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster in 2011). The battle to contain the contamination and avert a greater catastrophe ultimately involved over 500,000 workers and cost an estimated 18 billion rubles. The official Soviet casualty count of 31 deaths has been disputed, and long-term effects such as cancers and deformities are still being accounted for.

Shortly after the accident, firefighters arrived to try to extinguish the fires. First on the scene was a Chernobyl Power Station firefighter brigade under the command of Lieutenant Volodymyr Pravik, who died on 9 May 1986 of acute radiation sickness. They were not told how dangerously radioactive the smoke and the debris were, and may not even have known that the accident was anything more than a regular electrical fire: "We didn't know it was the reactor. No one had told us."

Grigorii Khmel, the driver of one of the fire engines, later described what happened:

We arrived there at 10 or 15 minutes to two in the morning... We saw graphite scattered about. Misha asked: "Is that graphite?" I kicked it away. But one of the fighters on the other truck picked it up. "It's hot," he said. The pieces of graphite were of different sizes, some big, some small, enough to pick them up...

We didn't know much about radiation. Even those who worked there had no idea. There was no water left in the trucks. Misha filled a cistern and we aimed the water at the top. Then those boys who died went up to the roof – Vashchik, Kolya and others, and Volodya Pravik.... They went up the ladder ... and I never saw them again.

However, Anatoli Zakharov, a fireman stationed in Chernobyl since 1980, offers a different description:

I remember joking to the others, "There must be an incredible amount of radiation here. We'll be lucky if we're all still alive in the morning."

Twenty years after the disaster, he said the firefighters from the Fire Station No. 2 were aware of the risks.

Of course we knew! If we'd followed regulations, we would never have gone near the reactor. But it was a moral obligation – our duty. We were like kamikaze.

The immediate priority was to extinguish fires on the roof of the station and the area around the building containing Reactor No. 4 to protect No. 3 and keep its core cooling systems intact. The fires were extinguished by 5:00, but many firefighters received high doses of radiation. The fire inside reactor 4 continued to burn until 10 May 1986; it is possible that well over half of the graphite burned out.

The fire was extinguished by a combined effort of helicopters dropping over 5,000 metric tons of sand, lead, clay, and neutron absorbing boron onto the burning reactor and injection of liquid nitrogen. The Ukrainian filmmaker Vladimir Shevchenko captured film footage of an Mi-8 helicopter as its main rotor collided with a nearby construction crane cable, causing the helicopter to fall near the damaged reactor building and killing its four-man crew. It is now known that virtually none of the neutron absorbers reached the core.

From eyewitness accounts of the firefighters involved before they died (as reported on the CBC television series Witness), one described his experience of the radiation as "tasting like metal," and feeling a sensation similar to that of pins and needles all over his face. (This is similar to the description given by Louis Slotin, a Manhattan Project physicist who died days after a fatal radiation overdose from a criticality accident.)

The explosion and fire threw hot particles of the nuclear fuel and also far more dangerous fission products, radioactive isotopes such as caesium-137, iodine-131, strontium-90 and other radionuclides, into the air: the residents of the surrounding area observed the radioactive cloud on the night of the explosion.

Timeline

1:26:03 – fire alarm activated

1:28 – arrival of local firefighters, Pravik's guard

1:35 – arrival of firefighters from Pripyat, Kibenok's guard

1:40 – arrival of Telyatnikov

2:10 – turbine hall roof fire extinguished

2:30 – main reactor hall roof fires suppressed

3:30 – arrival of Kiev firefighters

4:50 – fires mostly localized

6:35 – all fires extinguished

With the exception of the fire contained inside Reactor 4, which continued to burn for many days

In the city of Chernobyl there stands a simple memorial to the liquidators who rushed to reactor number four in the immediate aftermath of the explosion. The firefighters who initially responded to the disaster on the morning of April 26, 1986 were unaware that they were entering a radioactive environment, and rushed to the plant without donning protective suits and respirators. While they labored to extinguish the fires, their bodies absorbed lethal doses of radiation, and many of them later died of Acute Radiation Sickness. Overall, some 600,000 workers, including scientists, miners, and Soviet military conscripts, participated in the Chernobyl cleanup efforts. To this day, many of them continue to experience a variety of health problems stemming from their time spent in the zone. The plaque on the monument is inscribed “To those who saved the world.â€

#1 the Firefighters memorial

8076461912_c10407468c.jpg

8204086850_857176b096.jpg

8073990330_69cffafa9a.jpg

Finally...the plant 25th anniversary memorial

This memorial was made of the same substance that the sarcophagus is made out of, hence when putting the dosimeter near to it, the meter calmed right down. Nothing to worry though, it was quite a low reading and not dangerous to anyone before you ask

8079551779_488c1156c4.jpg

8073322175_1e937d188e.jpg

#3 - robotic clean up vehicle

8208688815_baf55f21b1.jpg

As you can appreciate, its one hell of an experience to go there and see the place and what they are doing there constantly to stop the nuclear fall out entering the atmosphere.

Thanks for looking in.

Siren

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
What a fantastic read accompanied by some moving photos, especially those of the memorial. The faces on those are quite haunting.

Such a great report put together here, nice work :D

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Incredible, I spent ages reading this then gave it to my wife to read and then I read it again, fantastic post, incredible write up and some incredibly moving pics, thanks for helping me understand what actually happened here.

:|

Shush

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Going to be looking very closely at Chernobyl pics from now on. I think I'm going in September.

Lovely pictures, very well captured (y)

Timster1973

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Going to be looking very closely at Chernobyl pics from now on. I think I'm going in September.Lovely pictures, very well captured (y)
Cheers, I'm looking to get back there on a private tour next time - October is a nice warm month with no rain.

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Thats Epic in my book (y)

& the men and women that dealt with this disaster and gave their all are true Heroes (y)

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the deep and thought provoking report, so much emotion about this. thank you.

RiF

OS Member
Reaction score
Brillaint read!

Hope one day to go there and see it for myself

Theres also Vladimir Shevchenko filming of the disaster on youtube.

klempner69

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Thats a cracking report there fella. :cool2:

Stussy

OS Member
Reaction score
Brilliant report Timister, the write up is outstanding, would love to visit here next year! Thanks for your efforts! (y) (y)

Timster1973

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for your comments, much appreciated in taking the time to read and comment.

Brilliant report Timister, the write up is outstanding, would love to visit here next year! Thanks for your efforts! (y) (y)
I'm going in September hopefully, going private this time :)