Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Corah, Leicester, Apr14

The Wombat

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Corah was my ‘I’ve never seen Star Wars’ Leicester site. It was always on the back burner on the things to do list, and a something else often came up. Its about time I did this, and a good opportunity arose to explore, with Lost Explorer, King Mongoose, and his next in line.

It’s a huge site, and was described to me as ‘the gift that keeps on giving’, and I must admit no two reports on this place are the same. Its seen better days, but still an enjoyable afternoon.

On the roof, bumped into fellow explorer, Zombie; nice to meet you mate. Got a nice group shot around the roof sign.

N. Corah and Sons was a manufacturer of hosiery and textiles founded somewhere in the region of 1825, located in Leicester in the United Kingdom. At one time it was the largest knitwear producer in Europe, and its products had a major influence on the development and prosperity of the Marks and Spencerchain of retail stores.

The company was founded by Nathaniel Corah at the Globe Inn, Silver Street, in Leicester – a building which still survives, and which at that time was closely associated with the city's stockinger. Corah's business model was to buy completed stockings in Leicester, and to sell them elsewhere at a profit.

The firm was the first company to develop a relationship with Mark’s and Spencer, a well-known British retailer. The latter's St Michaels brand, which it used from 1928 until 2000, was inspired by Corah's use of "St Margaret" as a label for its clothing

Corah maintained a design room until at least the 1960s, which enabled it to present customers such as Marks & Spencer with designs for finished products such as dresses. It even sent clothes to Marks & Spencer already arranged by size so that they could go straight into the store. In the 1970s, the company's trade with Marks & Spencer was worth £20 million per annum – and Corah celebrated the "golden anniversary" of the relationship in 1976.

However, the downfall of the textiles trade had started in the 1960’s with higher demand in fashion and more expensive materials in a tighter, more low cost market.

By the 1980’s and 1990’s Corah was fastly declining. The factory doors were finally closed for the last time during the late 1990’s.

And yes...... off course I've seen Star Wars ;)

Sooo, Starting with a nice roof shot:

IMG_3381.jpg

IMG_3350.jpg

IMG_3356.jpg

IMG_3361.jpg

IMG_3357.jpg

IMG_3363.jpg

what a mess

IMG_3364.jpg

IMG_3371.jpg

IMG_3389.jpg

IMG_3391.jpg

think this was the karatee room

IMG_3393.jpg

thanks for looking

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
Yes, bit bashed up but you got some nice shots there, thanks for sharing :)

:comp

sentinel

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Great photos..really enjoyed this one

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
I havnt seen this place for a while have to say its seen better days

but all the same some nice shots to be had and youve done that (y)

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Derp !, but the photos did it justice !, cool !

The Wombat

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Many thanks everyone :D

Always appreciated

Tis a bit of a derp, but nice to have seen it first hand

The_Raw

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Ok it's fucked but looks like there's some quality graff there which is a massive thumbs up from me (y)

You've taken some cracking shots as well man, done well to make it look like the building look like it was before it got trashed IMO, shot No.4 is In for the Win to coin a phrase from SK!! :D

The Wombat

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Ok it's fucked but looks like there's some quality graff there which is a massive thumbs up from me (y) You've taken some cracking shots as well man, done well to make it look like the building look like it was before it got trashed IMO, shot No.4 is In for the Win to coin a phrase from SK!! :D
Cheers TR :)

The Elusive

OS Member
Reaction score
Nice, I missed abit lol judging by your pics, great shots was really raining when we went lol the brightest room i saw was the yellow room, quite a sight! :)