Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Cwm Coke works , Beddau Augsut 2012

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
This was the last port of call on our 2 day trip to Wales.After a less than sound nights sleep in the car which in my opinion was worse than sleeping at Pool Park the night before we headed in not long after the sun had started coming up ,which would explain some of the shots!Really liked this place and even tho we missed a fewrooms with pipes and gauges as tbh 2 nights sod all sleep and clambering around the walkways in hot sunshine we had had enough and packed up.

Relaxed explore in a great location if you like flaky paint ,rust and big hunks of machinery left around.

visited with SpaceInvader and Obscurity while St0rm caught up on some sleep back at the car..

Borrowed history

Cwm Coke's origins lie with the Great Western Railway and it's insatiable hunger for coal. The GWR sunk pits at the Cwm site in 1909 as well as in other areas of the Rhondda, but Cwm didn't become known for it's coke until 1958 when the coking ovens and associated plant for producing coke and refining the by-products of the coking process were installed. During this time the existing colliery site saw a £9 million investment, by the 1970's the two pits 'Margaret' and 'Mildred' and the coking plant were the workplace of 1,500 men this combined effort produced 515,000 tons of coke per annum. The colliery continued production of coal right up until privatisation of the National Coal Board in 1986.The coking plant remained in use until 2002 producing the low sulfur coke that the foundries of Port Talbot required
On with some pics...

DSC_0077_3.jpg

DSC_0104_1.jpg
DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg
DSC_0132_2.jpg

DSC_0113_3.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0151_1.jpg
DSC_0166.jpg

DSC_0150.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0086_1.jpg
DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0118_1.jpg

DSC_0160.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice one Wevs, bloody lovely mate, I'd have been well bad tempered after 2

nights of sod all sleep certainly wouldn't have been in the mood for photography, hats off to yer mate, bang on pics as always despite the sleep deprivation !

;)

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
10/10 for effort. I would not have attempted this of recent with the 'nutters' that have been let loose here.Kudos given, and earned

CS.
we hit it early and was out by ten am mate..relaxed wander..tell me more about the nutters?

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
I love this place, visited it so long ago now I keep forgetting hom immense it is!

did you go right to the top of the coal silo? The staircase that leads up there is precarious to say the least!

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
I love this place, visited it so long ago now I keep forgetting hom immense it is! did you go right to the top of the coal silo? The staircase that leads up there is precarious to say the least!
ah the staircase running round the outside..nope noone did but i got right up high :)

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
I love this place, visited it so long ago now I keep forgetting hom immense it is! did you go right to the top of the coal silo? The staircase that leads up there is precarious to say the least!
ah the staircase running round the outside..nope noone did but i got right up high :)
There's a video on FB of me and Shadow walking down from there. I'll link you to it (y)

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Now you know my fear of heights mike..this was nearly as high as the silos up the back end of site..i happily went up both lol

DSC_0166_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Man with dog and shotgun not on site mate, walked in explored went to maccy d's :)

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Without giving too much away, has it got to the point that they just dont give a shit what happens here anymore? The turnaround of guards at this specific place was stupidly fast only a few years ago, and in such a short space of time too.......Must go, Mother Slow is watching me use her computer. IS SHE ONE OF THEM ? :eek: TIN FOIL HAT ON/
Mtae we slept near by was in by 6am left about 10am free and easy walk,even jumped over the main gate up top ,dogwalkers outside fence said gooodmoring..may have been a lucky day as it was a sunday..

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Man with dog and shotgun not on site mate, walked in explored went to maccy d's :)
MMM Maccy d's now you're talking, ill have mine with a cappuccino please !

:p

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
ah mate early is best,especially if youve been in the car all night

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
PS - Wevs, If ya think I am going anyw :sleepy: here at 6am you can **** right off.

Gotta go. Brazil (Terry Gilliam) is on shortly.