Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Explorers Hospital North Wales, October 2013

Canonfodder

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
This now closed hospital in North Wales was formerly a workhouse that opened in 1839 and housed both males and females. Biding by Victorian values both cohorts of people were segregated in separate wings. The building was laid out in the form of a cross – there’s a tip for future explorers – with the central hub being used to manage the four wings. The workhouse was run by a John Francis, a man, whose cruelty knew no bounds. In 1847 a Mr John Rowlands became one of the workhouse’s most famous residents. During his stay there one of Rowland’s friends, Willie Roberts died. It was rumoured that Francis had killed the boy. Rowlands and a few of his friends did some of their own urbexing and took a trip to the mortuary. There they found Willie’s badly beaten body. Enraged, Rowlands basically gave Francis a good pasting. Worried about what might happen to himself for his act of retribution, he did one over the wall and went to sea. He went on to change his name to Henry Morton Stanley, and coined the phrase “Dr Livingstone I presume?”. The rest is history. Enjoy the pics

Although a hospital it has a few interesting features including ceiling lights

074a.jpg

A chapel

084a.jpg

some murals

hospitals006.jpg

enter the Land of Narnia....

hospitals008.jpg

...which was apparently the NHS' attempt to income generate....

hospitals011a.jpg

There's lots of theatres too....

hospitals104.jpg

.....showing the NHS version of Oz

hospitals124a.jpg

And if it all got too much for you they had even put in some japanese style hotel rooms

051a.jpg

Sadly the income strategy failed and the hospital was forced to buy cheaper items for operations....

092a.jpg

After complaints of painful invasive eye procedures the hospital closed, and like so many of our beautiful historical buildings, it now is going into rapid decay..

hospitals149.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this little tour. On that note, it's goodnight from me, and goodnight from him

079.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Spot on and enjoyed that as with the write and pics youve worked the location really well.

Thanks for the share

(y)

:comp

Canonfodder

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
just need to produce better images - better composition, (better) tripod (please santa), less white, lower ISO, slower shutter speeds, better bracketing - if only I could find the personal settings on this effin Canon, and metering system. Oh and more time. One day, one day......

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Lol hey know the feeling have always said we are our own worse critics and thats a good thing.

No 1 Enjoy.

No 2 Never let that go and hold close

& in for the win :D

The Barracuda

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Looks ok, good way to pass a few hours.

Eh, is that a tomato?

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Great shots and write up :)

Reaction score
Looks a brilliant explore, I love hospitals! I got my first Canon dslr back in February ish, took me a while to get my head round settings and stuff, but I'm getting there so keep practising :)

Pics are nice and it's about the explore and having fun anyway :) Fab report, cheers (y)

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
Very nice indeed! Thanks for sharing :)

jones-y-gog

Staff member
Reaction score
Time is the enemy

But that aside, I'm liking the style of your report

(y)

Last edited by a moderator:

Silent Night

OS Member
Reaction score
dam nice that is mate,love the little companion and the write up was interesting,pics are great (y)

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Cool stuff there and spot on report :D