Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

BritishRanger

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I wont bore you with too much history, this place has been done before, and has been done better than my attempt. I just want to share some of my stuff, and hopefully get to know some people on the forum as I am pretty new to urbex.

HISTORY:

St Joseph's College, Upholland is a former Roman Catholic seminary in Upholland, Lancashire, England. The foundation of the large building was laid in April 1880 and college was opened in 1883. The buildings have recently been deconsecrated.

In 1986 the total number of students was down to 82, of whom only 54 were Church students, and it was no longer viable to educate them on the premises. From 1987 the remaining students attended St John Rigby College in nearby Orrell for their schooling, an arrangement that continued until the very last of these students left Upholland in 1992.

My Version =

I was planning on visiting Crank Caverns with a few friends to start our exploring adventures with an easy location, but on route, I found the College.  We parked quite a bit away from the main road into the spot, so I dont even know what that side looks like, but I will be returning.  We approached through the woods, down a public footpath and arrived at the amazing building.  We spent around 15 minutes taking a few snaps, looking at possible entrance points, but by the time we made it around to the cemetary, a friendly security guard came around and informed us that we were trespassing and had to leave. We had a bit of a chat with the friendly bloke before heading off on our way with a bit more information.

My friends and I also run a facebook page where we post all of our outdoorsy stuff, bikes, urbex, 4x4ing, anything really. https://www.facebook.com/0151outdoors/

Anyway, heres some pictures, if anyone here can shed some light on approaching this place with more chance of success, give me a message please.

IMGL6393.jpg

IMGL6392.jpg

IMGL6390.jpg

IMGL6391.jpg

IMGL6389.jpg

IMGL6388.jpg

IMGL6387.jpg

IMGL6386.jpg

IMGL6426.jpg

IMGL6425.jpg

IMGL6424.jpg

IMGL6423.jpg

IMGL6422.jpg

IMGL6421.jpg

IMGL6420.jpg

IMGL6419.jpg

IMGL6418.jpg

IMGL6417.jpg

IMGL6416.jpg

IMGL6415.jpg

IMGL6413.jpg

IMGL6414.jpg

IMGL6411.jpg

IMGL6409.jpg

IMGL6407.jpg

IMGL6406.jpg

IMGL6405.jpg

IMGL6403.jpg

IMGL6404.jpg

IMGL6402.jpg

IMGL6401.jpg

IMGL6400.jpg

IMGL6399.jpg

IMGL6398.jpg

IMGL6397.jpg

IMGL6396.jpg

IMGL6395.jpg

IMGL6394.jpg

IMGL6391.jpg

IMGL6390.jpg

IMGL6388.jpg

IMGL6386.jpg

IMGL6387.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for sharing your first post with us. St Joes has been around for quite some time and I've heard that of late it has become pretty secure due to being purchased for redevelopment. Someone may be able to help you out though. 

I've edited your thread, just added a space in between pics. Just a bit of constructive criticism too, I'm not rating your watermark. It drags my eye straight to it and therefore detracts my attention from the subject. Generally we usually only post reports from inside somewhere incorporating the exterior too. If you need some help there is a good thread on here to help :)  you can also read other reports on here and see what sort of thing is posted :)

thanks for posting, it's nice to see an update on this place (y)  

Last edited by a moderator:

Britain's Decays

Banned
OS Member
Reaction score
Mate you're not boring at all, we all love to hear different perspectives, you've done a great job. St Josephs College may have been done to death but we haven't been there yet and are really pleased you decided to share. I really like the photo where the trees are in focus and the college is in the background, great shot!

jones-y-gog

Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty much summed up by @Urbexbandoned really.

Regarding access, while I'm not personally sure what the score is with the place at the moment I'd say that as you're based in Liverpool its not far so you could keep trying - perseverance can often pay off - I can say from experience!  Also from experience I know that the more I got involved, interact, share reports etc then others will be more inclined to help with access and locations....