Contact the team

High Royds Hospital - Sept 15

coolboyslim

Old school (m8ty)
OS Full member
Reaction score
Here is a nice one for you to enjoy.

Explore:

This was so bloody funny. The place is a dog walkers and watchers paradise its very live lets just say that. Went with acid reflux and stranton. We did a look round and all looked lost has its a bit fort knox and people looking outa houses etc lol. Me and stranton decided not to give up and went all round building at one stage ending up at a secaa building on a separate site lol. Anyways it looked lost until the last spot payed off. So we then did the crazy and slept in acids car till 6 am ish. I say sleep but other than the cramp and the noise of the back seat Cough Stranton snoring lmao. It was not the greatest but still grabbed an hour or so. And then up we got mist in background and more bloody dog walkers lmfao. Take a bloody break. Anyways in we went and it was awesome.

History.

High Royds Hospital is a former psychiatric hospital south of the village of Menston, West Yorkshire, England.

The hospital is located within in the City of Leeds metropolitan borough and was first opened on 8 October 1888 as the West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum. The hospital closed in 2003 and the site has since been developed for residential use, some of which is in the old hospital buildings.

In its final years of operation, High Royds had become outdated and unsuited to modern psychiatric practice.[according to whom?] As part of Leeds Mental Health's £47 million reprovision process it was closed, with the wards being relocated to various community mental health units within the city of Leeds in the three years leading up to its closure. These include the Becklin Centre in St James' Hospital and the Mount in the city centre. The hospital was closed in stages between 25 February 2003 and June of the same year.

As of 2011, the site was being redeveloped as a new village, also called High Royds, retaining some features of the hospital such as the ballroom and the clock tower.

Since its closure, the site has been used as a film set for the film Asylum, as well as for the successful television series No Angels and Bodies.

The drama Diamond Geezer starring David Jason which aired on ITV1 in March 2005 was also partly shot at High Royds.

Leeds band Kaiser Chiefs have written a song ("Highroyds") about the former hospital. Three of the band (Nick Hodgson, Nick 'Peanut' Baines and Simon Rix) used to attend St. Mary's Catholic High School, the school that faces High Royds Hospital.

The band Kasabian named their third album, West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum [sic], after the hospital after hearing about it on a TV documentary.

Pics:

DSC02857_zpsupg6ibcc.jpg

DSC02862_zpsgzeaavpk.jpg

DSC02919_zpsvacviq0q.jpg

DSC02925_zpsb65iowyu.jpg

DSC02928_zps8t0jgn62.jpg

DSC02930_zpstcyebs15.jpg

DSC02938_zpsndmzl5be.jpg

Nice roof

DSC02978_zpsxet3lava.jpg

DSC02940_zpse1fdhsk4.jpg

DSC02942_zpswbyjc9f5.jpg

DSC02944_zpspunpnt69.jpg

DSC02947_zpspgxpahj2.jpg

DSC02949_zpsgb9milji.jpg

DSC02954_zpsfdgb5tjn.jpg

DSC02958_zpsbzoppjhf.jpg

DSC02960_zpsgoj3618u.jpg

DSC02961_zps69qumbgi.jpg

DSC02964_zpscicfqxil.jpg

Some misty roof shots.

DSC02967_zps54q9zjap.jpg

DSC02968_zpsa3622k3q.jpg

Slabs

DSC02980_zpsjmrrkgn2.jpg

DSC02988_zpsnf0jzqja.jpg

DSC02983_zps2oiwgims.jpg

DSC02997_zps2rmf2blg.jpg

DSC02999_zpsz5fnsoc7.jpg

Hope you all liked this and many thanks for looking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Merryprankster

OS Member
Reaction score
Bloody dog walkers, whod have em !! cool set dude thanks for sharing :comp

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
The main hall here is always a treat. I'm surprised they haven't developed that part of the building yet, it usually one of the first things to be converted the admin blocks and halls, as they demand a premium price over the new builds and normal villas. I suspect they are waiting for the right time to get the best price.

Session9

OS Member
Reaction score
Still looking good. Nice conversion job there too :)

coolboyslim

Old school (m8ty)
OS Full member
Reaction score
Thanks for replies and likes. Really nice place and yea them dog walkers could not believe how early they where out lol. Oh and those slabs are cool and creepy at same time lol. And loved the little look on roof the mist was awesome.

Urbexbandoned

OS Full member
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of a dog walker when I went too, he was telling me about those damn kids who get in to take pics while I told him I was doing a college project of dereliction haha. Such a shame to see shit graffiti around the place, but still the size that it is has done well considering (y)

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Some amazing shots you've got there mate. Really enjoyed looking at these. Lovely features in this building :)

scrappy

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
bloody dog walkers love it here hahaha great site, and I don't think I've seen them slabs before

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Done well there and the write up did make me laugh :p

DirtyJigsaw

OS Full member
Reaction score
Great to see this place again, and I agree, that hall is very nice. Glad you got to see it

coolboyslim

Old school (m8ty)
OS Full member
Reaction score
Yea really loved this. Them slabs are awesome 3 of them in different places if i remember right. And the hall is sweet. Deffo lots to see here if you can avoid the dog walkers lmao. Thanks again for replies

Urban_Explorer

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I see they have put a chain on them gates. cool report