Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Merrion Center Tunnels - Feb 2016

-Raz-

OS Member
Reaction score
I think this belongs in the short reports section but I couldn't find it so if a mod could wack it in there that would be great :D

​

Had a quick walk around Leeds last night so @Hydro3xploric could test out his new camera ​

To start with we wasn't sure what we had stumbled across but we were disappointed to find out these tunnels are just loading bays and substations for the shops above in the Merrion Center. There was lots of smaller tunnels leading off in various directions but they was littered by workers from the shops above so we gave those a miss​

​

After a bit of googling I came across this websitehttp://leeds-list.com/out-and-about/the-mysterious-world-beneath-ground-level/ ​

​

Listed on that link is a short article which reads ​

​

"When the Merrion Centre was first built it was a huge moment for the city and people were expected to swarm to it. To make that easier, there were a number of subway systems built so people could access it without crossing the main roads.

They’re all now out of use, but they still exist. A walk up Woodhouse Lane will show off one that went from one side to the other – and they were recently used for BBC drama The Great Train Robbery. There’s another, inside, that can still be partly accessed from The Key Club, which includes old offices and toilets, coming out at Fairfax House where it’s boarded up."

​

We failed to find that area so maybe there's more to see , anyway here's a few pictures ​

​

​

24465905809_60a4386fe4_c.jpg

​

​

​

24715657722_36cec0caf7_c.jpg

​

​

​

24465869049_04ee282f4b_c.jpg

​