Contact Staff

Contact the team

Pripyat funfair - 2012

Timster1973

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

Had the opportunity to visit Chernobyl and Pripyat last October. This involved time to explore Pripyat and the abandoned funfair which is an Urbex icon.

Welcome to Chernobyl - edge of the Red Forest.

8072108445_ce9914ae78.jpg

History

Pripyat was a city in the Ukraine built to house workers for the Chernobyl nuclear power plant. At its height it had around 50,000 inhabitants with provision for up to 70,000.

The city was built in a triangular plan and featured alternating five-story buildings and high-rises, with the city lined with broad vistas, open spaces, and the horizon visible from almost every corner. Unlike the old cities with their tiny yards and narrow streets, Pripyat had been initially planned to look free and vivid, all for the comfort of its inhabitants. Besides the calculated boost of street space, the goal had been achieved by making the streets and blocks symmetrical. Taken together, these solutions were intended to immunize Pripyat from such scourges of modern times as traffic jams.

Facilities in the city included:

- Population: 49,400 before the disaster. The average age was about 26 years old. Total living space was 658,700 m2: 13,414 apartments in 160 apartment blocks, 18 halls of residence accommodating up to 7,621 single males or females, and 8 halls of residence for married couples.

- Education: 15 primary schools for about 5,000 children, 5 secondary schools, 1 professional school.

- Healthcare: 1 hospital that could accommodate up to 410 patients, and 3 clinics.

- Trade: 25 stores and malls; 27 cafes, cafeterias and restaurants could serve up to 5,535 customers simultaneously. 10 warehouses could hold 4,430 tons of goods.

- Culture: 3 facilities: a culture palace, a cinema and a school of arts, with 8 different societies.

- Sports: 10 gyms, 3 indoor swimming-pools, 10 shooting galleries, 2 stadiums.

- Recreation: 1 park, 35 playgrounds, 18,136 trees, 249,247 shrubs, 33,000 rose plants.

- Industry: 4 factories with total annual turnover of 477,000,000 rubles. 1 nuclear power plant.

- Transportation: Yanov railway station, 167 urban buses, plus the nuclear power plant car park of about 400 units.

- Telecommunication: 2,926 local phones managed by the Prypiat Phone Company, plus 1,950 phones owned by Chernobyl power station's administration, Jupiter plant and Department of Architecture and Urban Development.

On 26th April 1986 an experiment involving a power-down of the reactor caused an explosion at Reactor 4. The resulting fire burned for over 9 days, sending radioactive clouds over most of Europe. The inhabitants of Pripyat were told to take a minimum of belongings for a temporary evacuation, and everyone was bussed out of the city over 48hours. Little did they know they were never to return.

A link to the movie we were shown when we were there is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKKz45ORPQQ

I think we can all admit before even watching this how sad and upsetting such a disaster is for the world.

On with some photos from the funfair.

8193083017_f243981f84.jpg

8070332642_1f3dcf2e70.jpg

8073897303_ea94792666.jpg

#4 - from the roof of the hotel

8183024031_19dc39150c.jpg

8119933879_f864e37db1.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Silent Night

OS Member
Reaction score
wow such a great combo of a great read and beautiful pictures very very nice indeed :cool2:

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
All the fun of the fair with all the kids glowing with excitement :D

Me bad :Devil:

Place is amaezball and cool shots (y)

klempner69

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Lush..did the guide let you in many buildings?

silverainbow

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Very nice, informative write up full of interesting facts that I didn't but now know, I didn't realise that the disaster was caused by an experiment,I'd hate to be the one to have instructed it, even worse the individual that implemented it if they even survived I would want to have to bear the guilt for all that destruction and misery.

Great report, awesome write up and some stunning pics to boot, thanks for posting !

V :cool:

Timster1973

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
wow such a great combo of a great read and beautiful pictures very very nice indeed :cool2:
And the quality just keeps comin'!! NIIIICCCE!! :D
Cheers for the comments guys :)

Lush..did the guide let you in many buildings?
No, we weren't on a private tour but we did sweet talk her into allowing us some building time.

All the fun of the fair with all the kids glowing with excitement :D Me bad :Devil:

Place is amaezball and cool shots (y)
Bad man ;) Thanks for the comments dude.

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
would love to go there sometimes, looks fantastic !, cheers :beer:

C

Captain Slow

If this were an essay, A* for you. Thanks for sharing.

You mention that Pripyat was designed from the outset as a 'future town' to avoid things such as traffic jams etc. Y'know, all the reports i've seen of this place over the years, I have often thought that this place was a trial town. If it had been a goer and actually worked out, the CCCP would have built towns and cities just like this all across Russia & Siberia, complete with their own Chernobyl attatched to them :Gulp:

Makes you think.

Thanks once again.

Stussy

OS Member
Reaction score
Great report and fantastic pics, need to sort this out for next year I think!

Timster1973

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Great report and fantastic pics, need to sort this out for next year I think!
Thinking of doing a private tour in October - its easy to sort out with the travel company there. :cool2: