Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Record Ridgeway Sheffield, September 2015

The Stig

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Whilst staying in Sheffield and visiting friends, myself and my other half (who also on here, god know what her name is) had a spare couple of hours t kill. We had a quick look around the outside of George Barnsley but with the time of day and being mid week it wasnt do-able so we had a quick drive up the road and spotted this place.

History

In 1898 two brothers, Charles and Joseph Hampton, left the family business 'The Steel Nut and Joseph Hampton Limited' in Staffordshire, to go to Sheffield and set up their own business in Attercliffe. Their partnership was called 'C & J Hampton'. Shortly afterwards Charles and Josepth fell out and Josepth returned to Wednesbury. In about 1900 the two sons of Charles, Horace and Charles W. Hampton joined their father in the business. When C & J Hampton became a private limited company on the 14 May 1908, their premises were located at The Eagle Foundry, Livingston Road, Sheffield. It was at this address one year later that the Record trademark was registered in the Trademark Journal.

From 1909 to 1930 their production consisted of engineering and woodworking vices, G clamps, T bar sash cramps, floor cramps, pipe cutters, Stillson wrenches and lifting jacks. By 1912 the company had relocated to a new factory on Ouse road, Attercliffe, Sheffield and in 1929 Charles Hampton died and his two sons Horace and Charles W Hampton became joint managing directors. The company moved to Bernard Road in 1936 and again, to The Parkway Works Sheffield in 1963. In 1946 the Record Tool Company Limited was formed to protect the Record brand name.

In 1963 Record Tool Company acquired an equal 50% interest with William Ridgway in William Marples and Sons Limited. This is when Record Tools moved to the Parkway Works, Sheffield. On The 29th of September 1972 the company merged with William Ridgway to form Record Ridgway Tools Ltd and was made up off 14 UK Companies with 5 overseas companies. 1982 saw the takeover of Record Ridgway by AB Bahco of Sweden. This arrangement was short-lived, and a management buyout was announced in 1985 returning the company to British ownership to Record Holdings plc. In 1998 the board decided to accept an offer from American Tool Corp Inc. trading as Record Irwin.

Think this particular works closed down sometime in the early 2000's

IMG_1086.jpg
IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

-Raz-

OS Member
Reaction score
Nice to see this place pop up good shots mate, the graff on #8 is ace one of my fave bits in sheff :D

hamtagger

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Looks like a decent mooch. Not normally a fan of graff but I agree with raz there :)

:comp

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
I've always looked at this place from the outside and almost looks art deco in design and some lovely little gems inside. (y)

mookster

OS Member
Reaction score
Keep meaning to check this out when I'm in Sheffield, although the last time I did we got as far as a walk around the outside before hearing all manner of bashing and crashing coming from inside and some shifty looking blokes exiting the building, needless to say we got out of dodge.