Contact the team

Report - Margate Caves - April 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
The Margate caves are situated at one end of Northdown Road in Margate, and run for a reasonable distance underneath the site of a one time vicarage and church, both of which were destroyed in WW2 - and the site is now a car park. Origenally they are thought to have started out as a denehole, but have had many uses in their past including a prison with dungeons that can be seen today, a secret place of workship buring times of religious persecution, and as a hideout and storage for smugglers with passeges to and from the sea.

The caves fell out of use at some point and got forgotten about until somewhere near the end of the 18th Century, a man named Francais Forster built a large house called Northumberland House, and around 1798 his gardener re-discovered the caves by accidently digging into them. A private entrance into the caves was made, and it was during this time that most of the murals and paintings you can see in the caves today were created. According to local history, the paintings were all done by a local artist named Brazier, who unfortunitely destroyed many interesting aspects of the caves contruction when the walls were smoothed over to create a surface for his work.

In 1914 a new entrance was cut from the cellar of the vicarage, which is the entrance that is still used today. In the making of this entrance, one of the murals (The Thanet Hunt) was destroyed.

The Caves were opened as a tourist attraction, but were eventually closed to the public in 2003 amid 'safety concerns' and the council has put forward plans to have them filled in and housing built on the land above on more than one occassion. Each time it's been blocked and thus they now sit there today doing nothing. (Quite honestly there's nothing unsafe about them they just need cleaning up a bit, but of course caves don't really make councils any money, but land for housing does! :rolleyes: )

There have been proposals recently to re-open the caves as part of the Margate Regenration scheme, but as far as I know at the moment no real progress has been made on this.

Explored with Fortknox0, Obscurity, Frosty, Gizmo and Townie.

Image-027.jpg

Image-008.jpg

Image-025.jpg

Image-020.jpg

Image-024.jpg

Image-002.jpg

Image-030.jpg

Thank for Looking!

Maniac.

Last edited by a moderator:

Obscurity

OS Member
Reaction score
lovely photos and good write up mate, well done (y)

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
I don't think they would get away with it, but if you browse the planning site, there's been two different proposals in the last 6-7 years which both involved filling the caves in. Both were turned down. The council claim they are structurally unsafe, and there's sunsidence problems, but as you can see they look fineand there's no collapses.

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
hi maniac..nice work i took a look down there monday night after my main mission,but due to ammount of time faffing around in undergrowth gave up going back for another look,would be a shame if they just laid derelict! now ive seen your pics and knowing what equipment i have to work with i may just keep mine to myself lol :roll:

unclebulgaria

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
went down there tonight,cool place,aparently its up for sale

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
up for sale unclebulgaria..wanna chip in ,great place to let the kids play..theres a door and everything! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.