free hit counter
Rossendale Hospital - January 2013 (pic heavy) | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Rossendale Hospital - January 2013 (pic heavy)

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
History

Rossendale hospital started out as a work house for the poor named Haslingden Work House. I'm not certain when exactly it was build, however there is an old photograph supposedly from 1905 and an illustration of the building dated around 1898 in which the building looks remarkably familiar to how it does today.

An excerpt from the Gazette describes the workhouse as follows: “There are 326 inmates within the Workhouse walls, made up of old men and women; young men and women, and boys and girls. One hundred lie on the sick beds of the Infirmary; 72 are imbeciles or idiots, of whom 48 are females; 29 are boys, and 24 are girls, with five infants under two years of age. There are fathers and mothers here; grandfathers and grandmothers, and even great grandfathers and great grandmothers.”

The workhouse later became Moorland House Public Assistance Institution, and then Rossendale General Hospital which finally closed in 2010.

Current plans was to demolish the existing buildings and replace them with 170 homes. new homes a mixture of affordable and high end housing. Demolition is now pretty much complete

Our Visit

Visited with Pete, Sonyes,and Sam the Mule! Cracking day we managed to see both the new and the old part. Favourite bits are hard to choose from here as there was so much to see but the operating theatre stood head and shoulders above most things I’ve had the pleasure of seeing in these abandoned places! Complete with working lights it was jaw dropping when we walked in!

DropDown-1.jpg

DropDown-2.jpg

DropDown-3.jpg

DropDown-4.jpg

DropDown-5.jpg

DropDown-6.jpg

DropDown-7.jpg

DropDown-8.jpg

DropDown-9.jpg

DropDown-10.jpg

DropDown-11.jpg

DropDown-15.jpg

DropDown-16.jpg

DropDown-17.jpg

DropDown-18.jpg

DropDown-19.jpg

DropDown-20.jpg

DropDown-21.jpg

DropDown-22.jpg

DropDown-23.jpg

DropDown-24.jpg

DropDown-25.jpg

DropDown-26.jpg

Thanks for reading there are high res copies of the above photos and a few more from this trip on my blog: Urbex: Rossendale General Hospital, Lancashire – January 2013

Last edited by a moderator:

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Very bloody nice mate cracking write up shots and location.

That is in for the win (y)

Nelly

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Quality shots

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
Very nice shots indeed, like this :)

jones-y-gog

Staff member
Reaction score
Very classy collection. Shame I missed this, looks like it was a heck of a place!

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Lights still on?! cool set
yup! or at least they were in some sections for a while until demo properly started! sad times :(

Very classy collection. Shame I missed this, looks like it was a heck of a place!
Cheers pal you did indeed it was a belter this one before they demo'd her!

Thanks to the rest of you for the comments :)

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
Bloody ace shots and location !!