free hit counter
Great Britain - Soldiers Home Tunnels 21/10/2010 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain Soldiers Home Tunnels 21/10/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wevsky

The Pototao King
OS Full member
Reaction score
Visited with uncle Bulgaria,Obsurity,Frosty,fatjames and craig

Right History..I could have cobbled together from several sources some info and re-written it in my own words but to be honest the write up I’ve found is very accurate from what i can tell so I will bow down to the far more superior knowledge and just quote ..

This is the Eastern end of a large tunnel complex in Snargate Street, which began as separate tunnels but were linked during WW2 for use as air raid shelters. The main part of this section is the 900ft long Cowgate Tunnel which connected Snargate Street with Durham Hill. Unfortunately, this tunnel was penetrated by a shell during WW2 which resulted in the death of 63-year old Mrs. Patience Ransley, who was sheltering inside at the time. The tunnel is blocked at the point of the shell penetration, which occured within the grounds of Cowgate Cemetery on the surface. It is however possible to go much further than the blockage , but conditions are poor due to roof falls and rotten timber props. Due to revelopment of the Durham Hill area, the entrance at that end seems to have vanished. The passage going West from the main entrance tunnel passes a vent shaft and kiln, and was originally known as 'Soldiers' Home Caves', due to them being behind the old Soliders' Home.
Right on with the pics!!

DSC02115.jpg

The lime kiln i believe..

stairs leading up to it where i swear a rat ran past me

DSC02118.jpg

DSC02124.jpg

DSC02125.jpg

DSC02136.jpg

DSC02138.jpg

Going up the cowgate section towards where the Bomb breached the tunnel !

DSC02140.jpg

Nice concrete lined section!

DSC02141.jpg

The blockage leading up to the durham hill section!

DSC02142.jpg

A shoe

DSC02143.jpg

Looking back from way we came

DSC02149.jpg

And thats us out again..thanks for looking i would include a few more pics but one concrete lined section looks like another!!thx to the guys was a fun outing

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.