- Jun 5, 2014
- Reaction score
- Leicester, UK
Before heading to this colliery, we had been viewing photos of the recent demolition. Images of headstocks lying crumpled on the ground didn't exactly give us much hope, but without any other options until much later in the day, we headed on to see if there was at least a scrap of something nice left behind. It turned out that it was largely the plant side of things that had been demolished, and these areas often turn out to be fairly uninspiring anyway. To our surprise, a big handful of buildings were left behind, including the bath house, admin, and the tall winding tower, which was our first target.
The colliery operated from 1901 until 1997, when the site was acquired by RAG, at which time it became Bergwerk Ost. It was fully shut down in 2010.
Winding Gear -
Winding Gear -
The next target was the bath house and admin building, just a quick dash across the road -
Lamp room -
A typical zeche atrium -
Some front areas were quite grand -
Next was the power house, which turned out to be much better than expected -
Upon first glance, the building appeared to be completely turbine free, only revealing only a large hall and an alright looking control panel -
But upon further inspection, we found this tasty greenboi, which made it all the more worth it -
There's a couple more bits to see here, would be interesting to see inside if anyone manages to crack the last bits before it's fully redeveloped.
Last edited by a moderator: