free hit counter
Denbigh Asylum - North Wales (April 2014) | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Denbigh Asylum - North Wales (April 2014)

Involuntary Abstinence

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I know, I know, Denbigh ..oops sorry...erm...that famous asylum in North Wales ( :p ) has been done a lot but since I just visited for the first time I thought I deserve to be a bit annoying by posting one more report.

I really won't say anything with regards to the history of the place as the forum is filled with several (so if you want to read about, either go here or locate any of the numerous reports on the forum.

A few words about my visit though.

I visited with a non-forum member friend who lives in Chorley (Lancashire). We've been discussing doing Denbigh for some time so we finally did it. Actually, it was her third time. First time she had managed to get in and spend some time there without any hustle from Elwyn, second time she did bump into him who made the usual threats about "what if I had released the dog" and all that. So in a way and having read from other reports it can all go either way, I wasn't expecting much. I would just be happy with a couple of hours of free exploring.

We drove past the main gate and parked and my friend led me all the way to the back entry point. Fairly easy way in I might say and soon we were in the Denbigh premises.

Seven (7) hours later we were leaving the asylum tired and hungry. Time went by quite fast, managed to run through 2 batteries and 1 32GB card.

Overall, I enjoyed the visit, mostly because we had the entire place to ourselves and as it is a huge place, I took my time with exploring and photographing. However, it did disappoint me to some extent. Without having done a tremendous amount of research, I had checked several reports and as most showcase pretty much the same hotspots, my impression of the place was that it may hold A LOT MORE. After a few hours it feels there's a recurring theme going on.

The biggest disappointment came at the main building. I had seen pictures from inside but hadn't noticed that that was the main building, that beautiful thing you see from the main road. So while walking in there my friend tells me "you know this is the main building, right?". Totally stripped, no floors, nothing. What a f**** waste!!!

After having done the main building and the complex behind it, I moved to the silos as it was on my list of things to do and my friend went to check the building right behind them. I don't know why, but I was expecting the climb to be kinda easy, and at first glance of that half-broken roof I spent a few seconds weighing my options. Seeing as there was no other way up, I prayed it would hold all 190lbs of me and went up. The view was amazing, clear blue skies (with just a few clouds) and a warm day. I could have stayed up there for more than a few minutes but we still had a few more buildings to check so I ran down and went to find my friend.

I eventually found her at the chapel, that is of course stripped, but still the sun coming through the broken windows and general layout of the building made for some nice shots. And finally we visited the nurses' quarters. That place was actually more interesting than the actual asylum as it is in a much better state, plus it did make me feel quite uneasy being there (even before seeing the pentacle room).

I walked around all the rooms, leaving no door left unopened, trying to picture life in Denbigh for all those men and women. It's always something I like to do in these places that you know that one day not that long ago, were filled with voices and so many life stories.

When I bumped into my friend (we were doing different floors so as not to get in each other's picture all the time), she told me the pentacle room was nearby and I remembered I had seen a photo of it in one of the reports but had completely forgotten about it.

Maybe some will laugh and it all comes down to whatever each person thinks of these things. Personally, even if I don't believe in something (though I do believe in some sort of the "paranormal"), I do worry about the level of commitment some people show in their beliefs such as witchcraft. That room may be a place of bad juju, or maybe not, point is, it's just weird and not "right".

So after that and seeing my friend from a window roaming about outside, I admit to not liking the idea of being in that building on my own any longer and I rushed outside where we soon found ourselves on our way back to Chorley.

All in all, a great day, glad I got to see it without having to worry about my visit being cut short by Elwyn and having for the most part complete silence surrounding me. I thought I saw "everything" until a couple of days later another explorer wrote to me on facebook "you did see the morgue, right?". And it was facepalm time.

PS. I loved exploring on a very warm day and leaving my hoodie in the car and going gloveless at first seemed like a great idea. Almost slicing open my left wrist after pulling myself out of a broken window (because one HAS to put himself through one to take a selfie) I realized long sleeves are not such a bad idea after all.

PS2. On a sunny day Denbigh is really a great place if one likes to play with shadows and windows.

Thanks for reading and putting up with another Denbigh report!

==== PHOTOS =====

The silos

DSC_7216.jpg

Loved this window with the curtains

DSC_7341-Edit-Edit.jpg

One of the few interesting pieces of the asylum still remaining "intact" that can actually give you some idea of how it once was decorated etc.

DSC_7402.jpg

Again, the silos.

DSC_7128.jpg

Random find.

DSC_7468.jpg

Very inception-like.

DSC_7425.jpg

Playing around with post.

DSC_7574.jpg

Webs

DSC_7666.jpg

Wonder how many times the buttons had been pressed....

DSC_7550.jpg

Yes. A chair.

DSC_7503-Edit.jpg

Loved broken gauges.

DSC_7675.jpg

One of the several windows.

DSC_7761-Edit.jpg

As mentioned above, sunny day makes for some interesting shadows throughout the asylum.

DSC_7964.jpg

The library (?).

DSC_7747.jpg

The main building.

DSC_7862-Edit-Edit.jpg

One of the numerous death traps Denbigh holds. Not to be taken lightly exploring there.

DSC_7938.jpg

Another view from a window.

DSC_7808.jpg

The chapel.

DSC_8053-Edit.jpg

In the nurses' house this was very creepy. Walking on one of the floors saw this and immediately stopped dead where I was. The "evil" face is created by a broken window...it is amazing how the way the light fell on the shards created two perfect eyes and a mouth.

DSC_8168.jpg

One of the rooms in the nurses' house.

DSC_8097-Edit.jpg

Yes, why not.

DSC_8086-Edit.jpg

View from the silos.

DSC_8028.jpg

==== THE END====

DSC_7639-EditTHATSa.jpg

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice report, some really good shots! enjoying the processing hard to pick favourites but I love the trhough the window shows and that face in the shadow of the window :) well spotted!

Involuntary Abstinence

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Nice report, some really good shots! enjoying the processing hard to pick favourites but I love the trhough the window shows and that face in the shadow of the window :) well spotted!
Thanks mate. Appreciate the comments :)

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
Beaut shots, love the last one :) Thanks for sharing :)

:comp

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Really nice composition ,use of light & write up :D .

You know you will now have to re visit as simply not complete without an Elwyn & Mutley saga lol (y)

Involuntary Abstinence

Oblivion State Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Really nice composition ,use of light & write up :D .You know you will now have to re visit as simply not complete without an Elwyn & Mutley saga lol (y)
Think that's exactly what I'll do. Just go straight to the front, wave at him and ask to take a picture together as it is the only one missing from my collection.

Stussy

OS Member
Reaction score
Nice set of pics, tis a good explore this one, you've done it justice (y)