free hit counter
Mansfield General Hospital - October 2012, February 2013 & March 2013 (pic heavy!) | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Mansfield General Hospital - October 2012, February 2013 & March 2013 (pic heavy!)

PROJ3CTM4YH3M

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Construction initially began in 1889 and the hospital opened just one year later in 1890 with the intention of providing additional facilities to the local residents in light of outbreaks of diseases such as Typhoid, smallpox and tuberculosis which caused an increased demand for more hospital beds. In 1897 expansion was already under way with the addition of the Newstead Ward. By 1950 the hospital which originally opened with 5 beds in 1890 had grown to a size capable of offering 168 patient beds. The Hospital finally closed its doors to patients late in 1992 and eventually shut down completely early in 1993.

Photos taken over 3 visits:

First successful trip October 2012

I’d previously had 2 failed visits at this place and was really eager to see the inside for myself having viewed countless reports on the place. It has survived in pretty good condition compared to other Urbex spots which have perished either due to the elements or having the decay process sped up by vandals and metal thieves, the main reason for this is the keen attention of local residents and security who keep a watchful eye over the decaying building. We eventually made our way inside after taking probably the worst route which involved much more climbing than was probably necessary :) . Once inside we split up and headed off in different directions hoping to track down the morgue. I wondered around happily capturing a few shots while Sam and Ryan searched the halls for the morgue. Sam was incredibly unfortunate, while exploring what appeared to be a basement area he proceeded to venture down a set of stairs pictured somewhere below. I didn’t see the incident for myself but he describes seeing what appeared to be a small doorway at the bottom of the stairs and when attempting to step of the stairs soon realised the doorway wasn’t actually small it was 50% submerged in the most god awful smelling water I have ever had the pleasure of being near. Needless to say he took an unintentional dip and ended up waste deep in water which can only be described as smelling like strong rotten eggs :/. Unlucky! Otherwise the visit was a success and we had a good explore for an hour or 2 before being caught by security. We didn’t locate the infamous PIR which everyone kerp tripping :) .

First revisit February 2013

Well this was an interesting one… slightly larger group than normal there were 7 of us and that was even with a man down who unfortunately couldn’t make it after missing his coach! Bad times mate! Visited with Sam The Mule, Pete, Sonyes, Travis, Mr Bones and Corynn. We arrived early and waited for the sun to rise in the morgue before heading out to explore! Covered all the fun bits, the X-ray rooms, Wards, Main Staircase and the classroom / physiotherapy room as well as the nurses accommodation (or at least that’s what Im lead to believe that building was) We also found the incinerator which used to be used to burn biological waste… Fun times all round :) .

Second revisit March 2013

I’d not long since done Mansfield but a friend was visiting from Spain filming for an upcoming documentary about Urban Exploration and had this place on his to do list so another opportunity to mooch around and snap a few more shots. Visited with Urbex Leone, Medu, Lowri, Stussy and Scattergun.

Another successful visit, covered most of the place in previous visits but found a couple of the wheelchairs that I couldn’t locate on the first revisit and found a few bits of furniture had been moved around, hight light of the trip in addition to meeting a few new people, was realising how unstable the floor was above the water filled basement and almost falling through it and the entry / exit :) .

Anyways on with the photos:

Mansfield-1.jpg

Mansfield-2.jpg

Mansfield-3.jpg

Mansfield-4.jpg

Mansfield-5.jpg

Mansfield-6.jpg

Mansfield-7.jpg

Mansfield-8.jpg

Mansfield-9.jpg

Mansfield-10.jpg

Mansfield-11.jpg

Mansfield-12.jpg

Mansfield-13.jpg

Mansfield-14.jpg

Mansfield-15.jpg

Mansfield-16.jpg

Mansfield-17.jpg

Mansfield-18.jpg

Mansfield-19.jpg

Mansfield-20.jpg

Mansfield-21.jpg

Mansfield-22.jpg

Mansfield-23.jpg

Mansfield-24.jpg

Mansfield-25.jpg

For higher resolution photos and more from my trips to mansfield hospital visit my website: http://www.proj3ctm4yh3m.com/urbex/tag/mansfield-general-hospital/

Last edited by a moderator:

Lara

OS Member
Reaction score
Really enjoyed this report and lovey shots :)

:comp

Perjury Saint

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
Yeah man... Great stuff! What a shame its gone, would LOVE to go back!!

shaddam

O.S Friend AAA
OS Member
Reaction score
cool stuff man, love the group shot :p

skeleton key

OS Member
Reaction score
Pic heavy indeed but the pics justify that mate (y)

mookster

OS Member
Reaction score
One of the all-time great UK locations, such a shame it's gone. Only went the once but had a mega successful day!

Stussy

OS Member
Reaction score
Where I first met you, so long ago! Superb set of pics dude, nice one! (y)