Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Motion Sensors - A way around?

Stussy

OS Member
Reaction score
Passive infra red (PIR) can be avoided with a survival bag from Millets. The foil absorbs your body heat, you can cut a little hole to see through and its a good laugh... but is no good with motion sensors as I recently discovered :( :police:
The tinfoil sheets do work if you take your time and move slowly, however, as PIR's work with the changing temperature, any part of your body that gets exposed risks setting off the alarm.

I have used a Survival Bag at St Joes and it works on about 4 sensors, it stopped working on the last sensor to get into the main chapel sadly, but we still got the shots we needed.

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
Yeah i agree that is the best thing to do. Unless you're solid snake don't think there is a definite way of getting around the things.Did hear about someone trying to cover themselves in some sort of thermal gel to try to get around the sensors at st joes but apparently it didn't work. Prefer the old fashioned tin foil hat myself like :D2:
Thermal gel too, lets combine them all and we will look like giant robot slugs (y)

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
The tinfoil sheets do work if you take your time and move slowly, however, as PIR's work with the changing temperature, any part of your body that gets exposed risks setting off the alarm.I have used a Survival Bag at St Joes and it works on about 4 sensors, it stopped working on the last sensor to get into the main chapel sadly, but we still got the shots we needed.
I will have to try this out bud - Got busted at the weekend due to an alarm so thanks for the info (y)

Stussy

OS Member
Reaction score
I will have to try this out bud - Got busted at the weekend due to an alarm so thanks for the info (y)
Just make sure nothing sticks out, camera bag should also be under cover, heat from the battery would even set it off.

Stussy

OS Member
Reaction score
Just make sure nothing sticks out, camera bag should also be under cover, heat from the battery would even set it off.

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
Are they really that sensitive?

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Modern alarm sensors are generally pretty good and include a combination of different technologies to make them give less false positives and to stop them being tampered with. The advent of cheaper technology means these features are present even in very basic devices. The days of putting something in front of the sensor to attempt to block it are long gone, many have proximity sensors in the body of them that will detect attempts to put things in front of them and the very act of putting something on the sensor generally triggers them.

I have heard of people successfully circumnavigating sensors by keeping very low to the floor and moving very slowly, but it's not fool proof and one wrong move and you'll trigger it.

You can buy a basic alarm sensor really cheaply on E-bay and power it from a transformer, put it up on your wall then practise different techniques to see which one works. However, not all motion sensors are created equal so this is of limited use.

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
Modern alarm sensors are generally pretty good and include a combination of different technologies to make them give less false positives and to stop them being tampered with. The advent of cheaper technology means these features are present even in very basic devices. The days of putting something in front of the sensor to attempt to block it are long gone, many have proximity sensors in the body of them that will detect attempts to put things in front of them and the very act of putting something on the sensor generally triggers them.I have heard of people successfully circumnavigating sensors by keeping very low to the floor and moving very slowly, but it's not fool proof and one wrong move and you'll trigger it.

You can buy a basic alarm sensor really cheaply on E-bay and power it from a transformer, put it up on your wall then practise different techniques to see which one works. However, not all motion sensors are created equal so this is of limited use.
Crawling slowly seems like a really long shot, however it might be worth a try. i would imagine it being a lot like that mine sweeper game (y)

I guess from this thread i have gathered that it really all depends on what type of sensor it is, and if you trigger it, if you will have the guts to run around and cover them all for a later day (y)

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Crawling slowly seems like a really long shot, however it might be worth a try. i would imagine it being a lot like that mine sweeper game (y) I guess from this thread i have gathered that it really all depends on what type of sensor it is, and if you trigger it, if you will have the guts to run around and cover them all for a later day (y)
I can tell you for free that covering them never works, they have circuitry that detects when there's something over the sensor on most modern systems.

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
Crawling slowly seems like a really long shot, however it might be worth a try. i would imagine it being a lot like that mine sweeper game (y) I guess from this thread i have gathered that it really all depends on what type of sensor it is, and if you trigger it, if you will have the guts to run around and cover them all for a later day (y)
I can tell you for free that covering them never works, they have circuitry that detects when there's something over the sensor on most modern systems.

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
So the sensor would just go off constantly if there is something over it

Maniac

OS Full member
OS Full member
Reaction score
So the sensor would just go off constantly if there is something over it
If it's a good system it will come up on the panel that one of the sensors is obstructed and usually tell you which sensor it is on the system. It probably wouldn't allow the system to be set until the obstruction was dealt with or the sensor excluded. Putting something in front of the sensor while armed would trigger either the sensor it's self or the circuitry that detects obstructions, both of which would trigger the alarm.

your best bet when dealing with motion sensors really is to just try and avoid them.

chopper

OS Member
OS Member
Reaction score
I watched something years back with ex burglars. I'm sure they said that the only way they had found that sort of works was to use a heater to raise the temperature of the room gradually to above body temp, making the person 'invisible'. I've not tested it as I don't fancy carrying a heater around!

But that's PIRs, not motion detectors.

lucan

Oblivion State Member
OS Full member
Reaction score
with a motion sensor you just move realy slow , a pir infrared cant see through glass , you can wave at them through a window and not trigger one , hidding behind a sheet of it also works but I wouldn't want to carry one round

Hydro

OS Full member
Reaction score
with a motion sensor you just move realy slow , a pir infrared cant see through glass , you can wave at them through a window and not trigger one , hidding behind a sheet of it also works but I wouldn't want to carry one round
Walking around the derp like the chuckle brothers with a bit of glass? "To me to you" lol

Useful bit of info that though, cheers.

Chopper - hmm that makes for an interesting thought... are PIR's more effective in winter when the room temps are lower?