free hit counter
Great Britain - Report - Langdon Deep Hole Shelter, March 2010 | Oblivion State Urban Exploration

Post a thread

Post a thread in one of the forums

Browse the forums

Browse threads and contribute to reports

Contact Staff

Contact the team

Great Britain Report - Langdon Deep Hole Shelter, March 2010

Obscurity

OS Member
Reaction score
Located at Langdon Hole, in East Langdon, lays an air raid shelter deep underground. I can’t find too much information on this place but it is believed it was formerly known as Dumpy ‘B’ and used as a communications shelter during WW2. Also located in Dover was Longhill shelter which was formerly known as dumpy ‘A’. These two shelters were of an almost identical layout. Langdon hole Deep shelter originally had two entrances. One was steel lined and the other was un-lined chalk. After the WW2 there was no further need for the shelter and it was capped off with the original entrances destroyed. Over the years the top soil has caused a small opening to appear at one of the original entrances meaning that the rather hidden entrance is now accessible and this almost forgotten shelter has regular visits from historians and explorers.

I had visited this shelter many times over the last couple of years but in my most recent visit I finally photographed the place.

Visited with Urban Junkie, Shadow, Maniac, Frosty, Skydiver, Cave Zombie and Scrimshady.

Originally there would have been a staircase entering the tunnel but over the years it has collapsed leaving a steep slope at the entrance

DSC_0266.jpg

The second entrance is now sealed. This is the un-lined/secondary entrance

DSC_0269_1.jpg

At the bottom of the main entrance is a small room and spur leading to the main complex

DSC_0265_1.jpg

The shelter consists of two parallel tunnels with a spur at each corner.

DSC_0255_1.jpg

DSC_0254.jpg

DSC_0261_1.jpg

DSC_0252.jpg

DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0260.jpg

DSC_0256.jpg

Thanks for looking (y)

Last edited by a moderator: